Senior Facilities Officer - (Laboratories )
|Job Title:||Senior Facilities Officer - (Laboratories )|
|Salary:||£27000 - £34000 per annum|
|Start Date:||2019-03-04 00:00:00|
|Contact Name:||Adnan Sethi|
|Job Published:||February 25, 2019 12:36|
My client is seeking a professional, service-focused Senior Facilities Officer to maintain the research environment that supports our world class research programmes. ,My Client is a dynamic, growing department, with labs in multiple sites, and a new building due to open on in 2019.
As the Senior Facilities Officer you will work with and report to the Facilities Manager to ensure the highest standard of practice for work undertaken.
You will have a life sciences or related background, with demonstrable experience of working in and awareness of issues related to research laboratories and facilities management. To be effective in the role you will have excellent written and oral communication skills, in order to liaise with researchers, students, other university staff and external bodies to provide an efficient and safe working environment. Because your work will span a number of locations you must be able to work independently with little supervision, liaise with and support team members, and provide a reliable point of contact for staff seeking guidance on matters related to laboratory and estates operations.
Responsibilities and Duties
• Monitor safety in the laboratory and ensure good laboratory practice is maintained at all times, enforcing good
practice where necessary for all areas.
· Supervise shared areas and equipment across the all Client facilities and estates, including the training of staff and students on the client confocalscope.
· Provide health and safety and laboratory inductions for new members of staff, visiting academics and students
· Train staff in best practice when using shared equipment and facilities and have an understanding of the day-to-day operations of buildings and premises.
· Be a Departmental Safety Officer responsible for Health & Safety and legislative requirements relating to facilities including laboratories with the Facilities and Deputy Manager, and, where appropriate, be a member of relevant Health & Safety committees.
· In the absence of the Facilities or Deputy Facilities Manager, be responsible for supervising lab support and reception services and supervising staff in these roles, including the Laboratory Technician and Receptionists to ensure appropriate provision is in place.
· Act as Manual Handling Safety Officer, Departmental Biological Safety Officer, compiling and documenting reports and returns, and as Fire Safety Officer for client estates.
· Ensure Risk Assessments and Genetically Modified Organisms (GMO) data are kept up to date and are stored in an appropriate manner working with research groups to maintain compliance with safety policy.
· Develop and document Standard Operating Procedures.
· Ensure that /NHS waste policies are adhered to, and be responsible for supervision of the laboratory and domestic waste collection and disposal, ensuring the correct segregation and disposal of biological and toxic waste, liaising with the Safety Officer as necessary and in accordance with the or NHS's
Health and Safety Policies.
· Place orders for laboratory equipment and consumables using the finance system Oracle.
· Ensure the safe and timely delivery of all client orders by facilities support staff.
· Keep records of storage in -80C and liquid nitrogen storage facilities
· Have a pro-active approach to trouble shooting, escalating issues where appropriate.
· Arrange and monitor service agreements for equipment under the guidance of the Facilities Manager
· Educated to degree level or equivalent combination of training and experience, preferably with a relevant life sciences background
· Previous laboratory management or facilities management experience demonstrating the ability to deliver professional, high quality support to users and stakeholders
· Ability to work independently with little supervision
· Good knowledge of Health and Safety legislation, COSHH sheets and other regulations relevant to the post.
· Excellent interpersonal and written and oral communications skills with the ability to build and maintain relationships with internal and external stakeholders at all levels
· Ability to review, document and communicate processes and procedures for others to then follow
· Demonstrable ability to work as an effective team member
· Strong IT skills with working knowledge of MS office including Word and Excel
· Ability to organise work time efficiently and to handle competing priorities to deliver results to a required high standard and to deadlines
· The ability to handle confidential material appropriately, together with an awareness of data projection and information security guidelines.
· Knowledge of good laboratory practice
· Experience of supervising staff
· Experience working in higher education
For further information contact Adnan Sethi on 0121 450 50010 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Get similar jobs like these by email
By submitting your details you agree to our T&C's
£24000 - £28000 per annum
£25000 - £28000 per annum
Up to £35000 per annum
£40000 - £45000 per annum
£25000 - £28000 per annum