|Salary||£27000 - £32000 per annum||Sector||Engineering|
We are seeking a mechanical and electrical technician based at our sewage treatment site in Slough, Berkshire.
The overall responsibility of this role is to ensure that all equipment at our sewage treatment works is running safely and efficiently using proactive and reactive maintenance methods. You will inspect, maintain, fault diagnose, test, install, modify or repair electrical & mechanical plant equipment.
- Follow robust planned maintenance as well as getting involved in minor installation projects, electrical fault finding and emergency breakdown repairs to ensure our plant operates 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.
- Investigate plant failures and carry out repairs as quickly and efficiently as possible in order to avoid interruptions to the process.
- Provide technical advice, making reference to up to date technical knowledge, and provide training or support for technical trainees if required.
- Participate in a stand-by rota following the relevant training.
- Participation in a 24/7 out of hours standby rota will be required after a suitable period of training and assessment.
- Examples of equipment that you will be working on include; various pumps and associated control gear, 3 phase motors, starters and controls, electronic control systems such as VSD’s, automatic valves and penstocks, flow, level and pressure measurement, programmable logic controllers, variable speed drives and controls, chemical handling and dosing equipment.
- 17th Edition electrical City and Guilds certification with an upskill qualification in mechanical NVQ2/3.
- Apprenticeship with significant experience of electrical systems working in a ‘true multi-skilled’ capacity.
- NVQ or City & Guilds level 3 in mechanical engineering would also be ideal.
- Experience in inspecting, maintaining, fault diagnosis, testing, installation, modifying or repairing mechanical and electrical plant equipment.
- Experience maintaining large pumps, actuated valves, electronic control systems such as VSD’s and 3 phase electrical switch gear is essential.
- Knowledge and awareness of health and safety issues relevant to the industry would be beneficial for this role.
- The work will require physical fitness.
- You will need the ability to work in confined spaces and will require completion of appropriate training for this.
- A full UK driving licence is essential.
You will gain experience on a wide range of plants and equipment some of which are innovative investments providing exciting new experiences.
This is a fantastic opportunity for an experienced mechanical and electrical maintenance technician to join the UK’s largest water company and join the operations team.
Our competitive salary package includes an excellent contributory pension, 24 days holiday per year increasing to 30 with length of service and a wider benefits scheme. This includes an annual pay review, season ticket loans, voucher scheme giving you money off in major retail outlets, loyalty awards for continuous service plus much more, including our refer-a-friend bonus, where you can receive up to £1,000 for helping someone get a permanent position within the company. We’re also proud to be here for our local community around Slough, offering all of our teams two days paid volunteer leave a year, as well as proudly supporting a lot of local events and charities.
Thames Water is the largest water and waste-water services company in the UK. We provide the essential service at the heart of daily life, health and enjoyment to 15 million customers across London and the Thames Valley and we are going through a period of exciting change. On a typical day we supply 2.6 billion litres of top quality drinking water and our 350 sewage treatment works treat more than 4.2bn litres of waste-water. Our 85,000 miles of water mains and sewers would wrap around the world three-and-a-half times. We are focusing like never before on delivering brilliant services and providing our customers with a great experience. We are in the process of transforming our business in order to achieve this. To help us succeed, we need a range of new skills and capabilities and will be recruiting for these in the coming months. We are on the lookout for talented people across our entire region who are interested in helping us to become the best water and waste-water company in the UK.
Thames Water is an equal opportunity, Disability Confident, and Stonewall diversity champion employer, welcoming applications from all walks of life to join our diverse team. We’re also leading the way with our award-winning mental health and wellbeing strategy.