|Location||West Calder||Job Type||Permanent|
|Salary||£25000 - £25000||Sector||Miscellaneous|
Sodexo Justice Services is a custodial services company with a reputation for delivering high quality services through its philosophy that everyone can develop and make changes for the better. HMP Addiewell is a learning prison, with a strong and concerted focus on learning not to reoffend, relevant skills training and employability and we work with all areas of the wider community to ensure prisoners have the best possible chance of leading positive lives following release.
The purposeful activities department caters for a wide range of educational and vocational needs for the 796 prisoners. The team focus on delivering courses designed to raise prisoners self-esteem and employability skills. Reporting to the PA Team Leader the role is diverse, thought-provoking and challenging/rewarding in equal measure.Main responsibilities
- To teach a wide range of general home maintenance skills to residents at various stages of competency.
- Planning, conducting and assessing classroom instructional activities in home maintenance to include, painting & decorating, plastering, tiling, plumbing and electrical subjects; maintaining educational records; inventory and tool control logs; tracking achievement of desired outcomes.
- To create positive opportunities for those residents and promote benefits of achievement in vocational subjects.
- To liaise with prison staff, allocations staff and actively recruit new residents students
- To provide a wide range of progressive and stimulating material to residents in conjunction with an overseeing tutor
- To prepare residents for assessments where appropriate and encourage demonstrable learning outcomes
- To utilise these skills as means of focusing residents on alternative life choices to criminality.
- To contribute to the preparation of residents who wish to further their education post-release.
- Instructors with previous experience in a training environment – particularly in construction related trades.
- Hold a minimum of SVQ level 3 in a related vocational trade
- SCQF Level 7 in a teaching or education discipline or willing to work towards
- Strong organisational skills – both in terms of people and materials
- Knowledge of relevant health and safety legislation
- Flexibility of work: 40 hrs with occasional evening and / or weekend work
HMP Addiewell opened in 2008 and has become an integral part of the Scottish Prison Service estate earning much praise from (amongst others) HMCIP, for its innovation, use of technology, strong partnership working as well as its “can do” culture.
Sodexo UK & Ireland employs around 36,000 people and delivers On-site Service Solutions to clients at over 2,300 locations including offices, hospitals, schools, defense sites, prisons, sporting events and visitor attractions. All roles will require applicants to undergo screening appropriate to the post, including checks with past employers and the Criminal Records Bureau (UK) and/ or Disclosure Scotland (Scotland)