Job Title: Welding ApprenticeshipLocation: Bristol, UK Compensation: £15,285 + benefits Role Type: Full time / Fixed term
Role ID: SF46831Work for the world you want to live in.
Wouldn't you want to live in a world where people, populations and the planet thrive? Where technology protects rather than threatens. Where societies feel safe and secure. Where cities and continents feel part of one global community.
We're an international aerospace, defence and security company, with sites all-round the UK, that do loads of exciting and important things to make the world safer and more secure. We defend nations, save lives and protect communities around the globe.Bristol:
For this role you will be based in the Bristol area at our Ashton House site. Normal hours of work are from 07.30 to 16.00, Mondays to Thursdays and 07.30 to 12.30 on Fridays.
This role is within the Marine Sector of Babcock International Group, which delivers a wide array of complex through-life marine engineering services to defence and civil customers across the globe. These range from UK and international naval fleet support, commercial marine, engineering consultancy, weapons handling, equipment support, intelligence, cyber security and training.
Mission Systems forms a critical, and growing part of Babcock's Marine organisation. Our dynamic and motivated leadership team is committed to an exciting transformation agenda that will help Mission Systems to innovate, modernise and create a more people-focussed business that can support our customers' mission. Working across a range of exciting design, manufacture and support projects, Mission Systems employs approximately 1,600 people across the UK and overseas with the largest sites based in Bristol, Plymouth, Portsmouth and Ashchurch.
For more than a century, Babcock, the Aerospace and Defence Company, has been trusted to deliver bespoke, highly-skilled engineering services. We help customers in the UK and around the world to improve the capability, reliability and availability of their most critical assets within the four market sectors of Marine, Land, Aviation, and Nuclear, underpinned by a deep understanding of technology integration, unique infrastructure and specialist training.Engineering Technician and Fitting Apprenticeship:
Our apprenticeship scheme will take 4 years to complete. During this time, you'll earn a competitive apprentice wage and gain hands-on technical experience in the workplace. As part of the structured training programme, you will complete workbooks and training logs whilst being provided with continual support and on the job training.Possible placements
During your apprenticeship you will gain experience within an engineering environment, and this ensures you are familiar with engineering materials, processes and communication methods such as engineering drawings.
During the first year you will undertake training within the manufacturing works to complete your Foundation training which will include:
- Machining components using milling machines
- Machining components using lathes
- Manufacturing components through a variety of bench fitting skills
You will also undertake block placements within the production area becoming familiar with and use the welding equipment.
The latter years will be spent within the area you are likely to continue your career. This allows you to become highly skilled and competent within this area, developing you into an integral part of the team.Qualifications you'll get:
Babcock and Wiltshire College will jointly deliver the following training in the following areas:
- Performing Engineering Operations Units (Foundation Workshop Training)
- BTEC level 3 Development Diploma in Engineering
- Level 3 Competence Diploma (pathways to be confirmed following year one completion)
- Additional accredited Engineering Training
- Specific in-house company training
This will prepare you for a role as a qualified welder.What you'll need:
- Ability to work effectively as part of a team and build strong relationships with co- workers
- Able to communicate with others well at all levels, both verbally and through formal written correspondence
- Good attention to detail and accuracy
- Robust work ethic
- Safety conscious and show high levels of reliability, punctuality and dependability
- A passion for Engineering
- Focused on your own self development
- Hard working
- Self-motivated and hard working
- The drive to develop and apply education gained from the training provider and Babcock
- We want to meet with people who can demonstrate a strong aptitude for and interest in technical-based subject matter
- A minimum of 5 GCSEs all at C/4 grade (or equivalent) including Maths, English Language and a Science, or equivalent qualifications
The ability to gain SC clearance.What you'll get:
- Generous benefits including:
- Very competitive starting salary
- Fully funded qualifications up to degree level may be available
- Personal development training and opportunities
- Pension scheme with employee contributions matched up to 8% of salary
- 25 days holidays plus bank holidays
- Flexible working (by local arrangement)
- Discounted shopping and half-price cinema tickets
- Cycle to work scheme
Work for the world you want to live in. Work to leave a positive legacy that is felt for generations. Work as one team, one Babcock and create a safe a secure world, together.For over 130 years, we have helped to defend nations, protect communities and build a better world. To continue, we must adapt, advance and be a sustainable business with a shared goal. Change begins with our people and our shared Principles: be curious; be courageous; own and deliver; think: outcomes; collaborate, and be kind. These values not only guide the way we work but also our efforts to reach net-zero carbon. Yes, our ambitions are big, but together, we can achieve them.Application Guidance
All applications should be made online. If you have a disability or need any reasonable adjustments during the application and selection stages, please let us know. We're committed to building an inclusive culture where everyone's free to thrive. We are happy to talk about flexible working - please ask about alternative patterns of work at the interview.
For help with your application and advice on your CV please visit https://www.babcockinternational.com/careers/apprenticeships/#LI-POSTJob Segment:
Nuclear Engineering, Engineer, Apprentice, CSR, Engineering, Entry Level, Management