Job Title: Waste & Decommissioning Consultant
Location: Flexible (Bristol, Warrington, Newbury, Leicester, Cumbria)
Compensation: up to £45,000, dependent on experience plus benefits
Role Type: Full time permanent
Job ID: SF44628Build a better world
At Babcock we're working to create a safe and secure world, together, and if you join us, you can play your part as a Waste & Decommissioning Consultant at our location closest to you.
As an international defence company, we support and enhance our customers' defence and security capabilities and critical assets, meeting their requirements of value for money, increased availability, modernisation and flexibility.Cavendish Nuclear
The Waste & Decommissioning Consultant role is within our Cavendish Nuclear business.
As a leader within the UK nuclear industry, Cavendish Nuclear, part of Babcock International Group, provides a comprehensive range of critical nuclear solutions in clean energy, defence and civil new build and decommissioning projects. Together, we're innovating to make nuclear safer, faster and cost-effective across the nuclear energy life cycle. Your career with us could take you anywhere within Babcock International Group - from Canada, the USA to Japan. Work with us to create a safe and secure world, together.
Whether customers engage us for Laboratory Services, Radiological Protection, Hazard Management or help in developing next generation technologies; Specialist Services provide a collaborative, responsive and customer focused approach.The role
The difference our new Waste & Decommissioning Consultant will make:
As a Waste & Decommissioning Consultant, you will have a role that's out of the ordinary. You will be a specialist who has a breadth of nuclear waste knowledge to support the development of waste consultancy opportunities and capability in line with Cavendish Nuclear Consultancy strategy and growth plans. You will support the delivery of technical activities relating to Nuclear, Waste Characterisation, Management and Strategy through the application of process, domain knowledge and experience.
Day-to-day, you will support resolution of a range of technical issues and problems (inclusive of decision-making processes). You will compile technical reports and accompany presentations, provide reviews and adhere to specifications in accordance with stakeholder requirements. You will provide advice within your discipline under supervision, develop business awareness, build strong working relationships with stakeholders and work as part of a small single-discipline team or within larger multi-disciplinary projects.
- Provide specialist advice during the design, operation and decommissioning of nuclear facilities and for the production of all waste management documentation required under Site License Conditions and the Environmental Permit
- Develop and maintain excellent working relations with customers, colleagues and other Cavendish Nuclear departments
- Provide support to strategic growth campaigns and bids including supporting value propositions, marketing content and presentation materials to support the Cavendish Nuclear Strategy
- Maintain knowledge of Industry best practice, and support a culture of waste management best practice
At Babcock, we have a history of helping talent go far. With our track record of innovation, you'll continually develop your knowledge and expertise.
We offer flexible working to give people more options to better integrate their work and personal life, whilst ensuring that business needs are met. This role can be based from a variety of locations. You will be expected to travel and attend a variety of sites for adhoc meetings approximately two-three days a month but will otherwise be able to work remotely.Essential experience
Ideally, you will hold an Engineering or Science Degree but HNC plus experience will be considered. Chartered or Incorporated Engineer or Scientist status would be beneficial. Most importantly, you will have experience of working within the nuclear industry, with good, applied knowledge and hands-on expertise. This would ideally be covering a variety of tasks or projects across a range of complexities including:
What a role with Cavendish Nuclear offers
- Waste characterisation planning (e.g. DQO) and Waste Inventory
- Waste packaging and transportation
- Development and implementation of integrated waste management strategies
- Option identification and assessments
- Environmental planning, legislation, permitting and assessment studies (e.g. BPM, BAT)
Generous benefits including:
- Generous holiday allowance of 25 days plus 8 bank holidays. You also have the option to buy or sell up to 5 days holiday per year
- Reservist in the armed forces receive 10 days special paid leave
- Matched contribution pension scheme up to 7.5% of salary, with life assurance
- Loyalty Recognition
- Profession membership subscriptions - Subscription fees for one relevant professional institute per person per annum.
- Working from home and flexible work patterns
- Employee assistance programme supporting physical, mental and financial wellbeing
- Flexible benefits, including cycle to work scheme, discounts and our Share Ownership Scheme
- Autonomy. Trusted and empowered to be at your best
For over 130 years, we have helped to defend nations, protect communities and build a better world. To continue, we must adapt, advance and be a sustainable business with a shared goal. Change begins with our people and our shared Principles: be curious; be courageous; own and deliver; think: outcomes; collaborate; and be kind. These values not only guide the way we work, but also our efforts to reach net-zero carbon. Yes, our ambitions are big, but together, we can achieve them.Armed Forces Covenant
We are proud to support the Armed Forces community by honouring the Armed Forces Covenant. If you are a reservist in the armed forces, we provide up to ten days special paid leave in support of your training commitments.Application Guidance
All applications should be made online. If you have a disability or need any reasonable adjustments during the application and selection stages, please let us know. We're committed to building an inclusive culture where everyone's free to thrive. We are happy to talk about flexible working - please ask about alternative patterns of work at interview.
Nuclear Engineering, Environmental Engineering, CSR, Engineer, Engineering, Management