Trunk Sewers Technician
|Job Title:||Trunk Sewers Technician|
|Salary:||£21505 - £29095 per annum|
|Start Date:||2019-07-31 00:00:00|
|Contact Name:||Robyn Smith|
|Job Published:||July 31, 2019 11:03|
Working as part of a team of 5, this manual role will involve the day-to-day maintenance of the Victorian trunk sewer network in London. You will be responsible for performing a range of assigned activities including routine maintenance; investigations and safety cover.
The normal working hours are 6:30am – 3:45pm; with 1 week out of 5 on night shift from 9:00pm - 5:30am (for which you will receive additional payment).
You will be required to participate in a 24/7 out of hours standby rota (typically 1 week in 10), for which you will also receive an additional payment.
This role involves but not limited to:
- Woking in confined spaces (obtaining a CP2 confined space rescue qualification), at heights and lifting heavy loads – all mandatory for this role.
- Physical maintenance of the sewer network and associated assets e.g. penstock gates.
- Operation of plant and equipment.
- Cleaning, basic maintenance and fault-finding, the sewer cleaning programme along with surveys and safety cover for contractors.
- This role requires you to be physically fit and comfortable with working in water, working at heights and within the confined space of sewers and the like.
- As a part of the critical safety requirements you must be clean shaven at all times and due to the lifting equipment for man-riding you must weigh less than 110kgs at all times in this role.
- You will also need to participate in a pre-employment medical.
- As well as meeting the essential health and safety requirements, this role will suit someone that has previously held a manual labouring role and will be capable of carrying out all tasks.
- You will be required to work outdoors and in confined spaces all year round and mainly in underground assets; therefore it is essential that you are, prepared to work in a challenging environment on a daily basis.
- You must be willing to get stuck in, with a proactive approach to your work and demonstrate how you can positively contribute to a team.
- A full manual valid UK driving licence is essential; 7.5t licence is desirable.
- Drainage knowledge and a mechanical background would be advantageous as well as a desire to learn.
This is an exciting opportunity to work with a great team in London’s historic network of sewers, some of which dates back to the Victorian ages.
There are opportunities to work on innovative new projects such as the Thames Tideway Tunnel, meet key stakeholders and even take part in filming for TV programmes!
You will use a variety of mechanical techniques and innovative ideas to maintain and repair the aging network keeping it running for our customers.
Our competitive salary package includes an excellent contributory pension, a generous holiday allowance (which increases to 28 days with length of service), and a wider benefits scheme. This includes an annual pay review, season ticket loans, voucher scheme giving you money off in major retail outlets, loyalty awards for continuous service plus much more, including our refer-a-friend bonus, where you can receive up to £1,000 for helping someone get a permanent position within the company.
We’re also proud to be here for our local community, offering all of our teams two days paid volunteer leave a year, as well as proudly supporting a lot of local events and charities.
Thames Water is the largest water and waste-water services company in the UK. We provide the essential service at the heart of daily life, health and enjoyment to 15 million customers across London and the Thames Valley and we are going through a period of exciting change. On a typical day we supply 2.6 billion litres of top quality drinking water and our 350 sewage treatment works treat more than 4.2bn litres of waste-water. Our 85,000 miles of water mains and sewers would wrap around the world three-and-a-half times.
We are focusing like never before on delivering brilliant services and providing our customers with a great experience. We are in the process of transforming our business in order to achieve this. To help us succeed, we need a range of new skills and capabilities and will be recruiting for these in the coming months. We are on the lookout for talented people across our entire region who are interested in helping us to become the best water and waste-water company in the UK.
Thames Water is an equal opportunity, Disability Confident, and Stonewall diversity champion employer, welcoming applications from all walks of life to join our diverse team. We’re also leading the way with our award-winning mental health and wellbeing strategy.
Get similar jobs like these by email
By submitting your details you agree to our T&C's