Trainee Sport Video Journalist
Are you passionate about sport journalism and looking to get a first foot on the professional ladder?
Forces News covers a huge range of sports played by the British military, many of them playing at elite level. We’re looking for a trainee VJ to join the sport team on a paid six month contract.
You will have some experience of video journalism (through your university or college course) that will enable you to work in our multimedia news operation.
We’re looking for people who are currently underrepresented in the media, and who have a commitment to journalism, can create engaging video content and a love of finding great story ideas that spark interest and enjoyment with our audience.
Forces News (part of British Forces Broadcasting Service) delivers quality and engaging coverage of defence news that is broadcast on radio, digital channels and social media. You don’t need any experience of defence news and sport to apply, just a willingness to learn.
You can see what we do on our YouTube channel.
Our HQ is just outside London but the sport team is rarely to be found there. They spend their time across the country on live broadcasts, doing interviews and reports.
What you’ll be doing
- Working alongside our sport team, creating and delivering quality videos for Forces Sport Show and Forces News TV and digital platforms.
- Creating social media content.
- Getting involved with the Newsroom and Sports Desk coming up with ideas, attending daily editorial planning meetings, and filming and editing your own content to be broadcast.
- Learning from and working with a wealth of broadcast journalists in news and sport.
You’ll need to demonstrate:
- You have great research skills and are curious about what is going on in the military world.
- Love producing content on different platforms, including online and social media.
- Are a motivated self-starter.
- Clean driving license
What you’ll get during your six-month traineeship
- Salary in line with the Living Wage.
- Six month contract
- A dedicated Line Manager and Video Journalist Mentor
- Access to our in-house BFBS Academy, which hosts a range of courses to help your career.
- The chance to go out and about filming events in locations not usually accessible to the public.
- Pastoral and practical help offered around equipment, workspace, any remote working costs and expenses.
- A framework outlining the training and projects you will be working on throughout the traineeship.
- An opportunity to apply for a full-time role at the end of the traineeship.
Life at BFBS
We strive to be a diverse and inclusive employer, welcoming open-minded, talented and creative people from all kinds of backgrounds, and with different preferences and experiences. What we all have in common is a commitment to trust, quality, innovation and going the extra mile to achieve our mission. It’s a great place to work, with a unique mix of a charity, broadcast and digital creative environment.
As an organisation, we have lived and worked with the military community for over 75 years, and we are incredibly proud of our roots.
Our radio, TV and digital channels boost the morale of the armed forces serving overseas – and their families – keeping them connected with home, while our agile distribution solutions are tailored to each local environment and infrastructure, providing media services wherever the armed forces are overseas.
Across a growing number of platforms, our captivating military storytelling is popular with both the armed forces community and curious civilians. And our creative, training and events services offer award-winning expertise and skills to defence and government.
To apply, please send your C.V and a covering letter telling us why you fit the role and please state your salary expectations too, to firstname.lastname@example.org
We are an equal opportunities employer who actively encourages people from all cultural backgrounds and with disabilities to apply.
Please complete the Equal Opportunities Form provided on our website and return it as part of your application.