|Location||Romsey, Hampshire||Job Type||Permanent|
|Salary||£24,300 to £30,940||Sector||Manufacturing & Industrial, Engineering, Building & Construction, Miscellaneous|
RGL is a successful company looking towards a future of expansion and development. If the company is to grow some major efficiency improvements will be required across the company. The role of the Technical Officer is required to share the activities of a busy workshop as well as playing a part in supporting the Technical Manager in developing the Workshop function.
- To assist the workshop function within RGL to ensure that plant, machinery and equipment is checked, maintained, serviced, stored and issued in line with policies and procedures.
Skills, Knowledge and Experience
The role would ideally suit someone from a military or engineering background with experience of diesel fitting and maintenance. Good hands on experience coupled with a mechanical aptitude and can do attitude are essential to the success of the role holder.
An understanding/practical experience of basic electrical systems as well as fabrication/engineering techniques (welding, turning, grinding etc.) will be required, as will an ability to diagnose faults and make the necessary repairs against the diagnosis.
The role holder will be required to play an active role in the running of the workshop and yard and will be involved in the moving of plant and the lifting of equipment. Therefore, the role holder will need to be physically fit and able to work in all weathers if required.
There may be a need for the role holder to travel and occasionally stay away from home when the need arises.
A full, clean driving licence is essential preferably with the ability to tow
Ability/licence to drive a fork lift truck desirable as is a CSCS card
Key Success Factors
- Helps ensure a clean, tidy and organised work place
- Is an integrated part of the workshop team and promotes a “can do attitude”
- Plant and equipment is successfully serviced
- Workshop administration is carried out efficiently and accurately.
The role of Technical Officer is a “hands on” engineering role within the workshop function of a growing company based near Romsey in the South of England
- At least 3 years’ experience gained in a similar workshop environment
- A qualification in an engineering and/or fabricating discipline.
- Fully skilled/experienced in a wide range of workshop practices (turning, welding, fabricating, fitting, etc).
- A good understanding of electrical wiring particularly automotive and an ability to read and understand /wiring diagrams
- A strong and infectious “can do” attitude coupled with a desire to stick to deadlines without compromising quality
- Able to diagnose faults through logical and systemic reasoning
- A commitment to continuous improvement
This role will suit someone from a mechanical/agricultural engineering/military engineering background who is keen to apply their skills to a fast paced but varied workshop facility.
There are many rewards for those who enjoy a challenge and like working on their own initiatives. These include good remuneration, potential to develop, a dynamic, exciting and enjoyable working environment and an opportunity to play a part in a growing business as well as the satisfaction of seeing the results of their own hard work.
- Rate of Pay between £11.00 per hour rising to £14.00 per hour (2019 rates) depending on experience (£24,300 to £30,940 per annum)
- Working hours 8 ½ hours per day (9 hour shift – ½ hour unpaid break)
- Standard hours between 8.00 and 17.00
- Any overtime paid at x 1.5 of normal hourly rate
- Company Profit Share after successful completion of a 3 months probationary period
- Paid Public Holidays after successful completion of a 3 months probationary period
- 23 days holiday rising to 24 after 2 years/25 after a further 2 years/26 after a further 2 years
- Payment of 2% of salary by the company into the Workplace Pension after 3 months employment (employee contribution 3% at present in line with Government legislation)
- PPE provided
- RGL will meet the cost of any vocational training required
- ‘On Call’ rota at weekends paid at £26.65 per day plus overtime rate of x 1.5 of normal hourly rate should there be a call out