Systems Engineer - Consultancy Team Leader
- Job Reference: 00014176-1
- Date Posted: 29 July 2020
- Location: United Kingdom
- Salary: On Application
- Sector: Engineering, Government & Defence
Model Operational Environment (MOE) is a contract that has been running for four years and is expected to continue, and grow, to provide an enduring service. QinetiQ provides a small permanent team of Systems Engineers and Crypt Key specialists who provide a facilitated learning environment. Customers come to the team to develop insights into complex situations typically involving a mix of technology, operations and business process.
The work undertaken by the MOE team is underpinned by Lean Start-up thinking. It typically revolves around a repeatable cycle of: -
• Customer Discovery. Understanding the problem space; the challenge; what the customer wants to explore;
• Designing and carrying out experiments. This includes developing innovative ways to simplify and visualise interactions between technology/operations/process; and bringing together stakeholders to facilitate their input into, and learning from, an experiment.
• Validated learning. Capturing insights from stakeholders to improve collective understanding, identifying pros and cons, determining next steps.
The team works on multiple issues at any point in time, with the MOE Lead providing both technical and team leadership.
Essential skills, knowledge, capabilities
• Engage customers and stakeholders at all levels (junior operators to 1-2* seniors) in a complex and sometimes very political environment
• Understand and lead teams to apply the lean start up vision, approach and ways of working
• Build ad hoc multidisciplinary (soft & hard science, technology and operational domain experts) teams (critically the ability to reach out to find the skills and expertise wherever they are)
• Build teams that integrate customer and supply chain people as needed
• Highly collaborative behaviours that encourage cooperation
• Creative approach to problem solving – encourage innovation
• Able to grasp and simplify complex scenarios and problems that include technology, (defence) platforms & systems, operational & business processes, CK & cyber security and high grade risk and resilience.
Desirable skills, knowledge, capabilities
• Defence capability (platforms, systems, operations, missions)
• High grade Crypt-Key domain (but not ‘crypto maths’)
• Integrating cyber into operations
• System integration
• Test & evaluation
• Human - technology (socio-technical) interactions
• Information & operational risk in the defence & national security context
• Engineering lifecycles (V and agile and DevSecOps)
Responsibilities & Output
• Providing leadership to a small team of technical SMEs and systems engineers.
• Prioritising work and ensuring pace and client-focus in terms of delivery.
• Developing innovative visual and interactive methods in order to simplify complex problems and present potential solutions.
• Engaging with stakeholders with a broad range of interests (technical policy to operations), both when leading workshops, and when scoping and developing experiments.
SC and willing to go through DV process.