We are looking to recruit committed and enthusiastic Support Workers (Full time, 37.5 hours per week/Part Time 20/30 hrs) to work in two Supported Living Homes in The London Borough of Wandsworth. Five people (four women and one man) live at one home and two men in the other.
The successful candidate will work closely with the residents to ensure they live as independently as possible and achieve their ambitions. The successful candidate will be expected to support the residents with meal planning, cooking, and personal care and ensure they take their medication, they will work alongside the residents to ascertain their goals and support them to achieve their goals. The people who live at the services have various support needs, some are quite independent and access the community independently, and some require more support. Sleep ins are a part of the support we provide.
As a Support Worker, your role will include working on a rota which includes a variety of shifts including, evenings, weekends, bank holidays and sleep ins. Support will be within the services and in-house activities and out in the community too. The role also requires support with personal care, medication, and support to health care appointments.
Have you thought about working for Mencap?
Mencap is a leader in providing excellent support to people with a learning disability. Our vision is a world where people with a learning disability are valued equally, listened to and included.
At Mencap, we value a diverse and inclusive workplace and we intentionally plan for the success of our colleagues in everything we do. We welcome applications from everyone, so come as you are and join us. Together we are Mencap!
Everyone wants a purposeful job - to do something really meaningful. Everything we do at Mencap keeps the people we support at the centre of what we do.
With us, it’s never ‘just a job’. In return for your hard work and passion you can find real and meaningful work experience, access to some excellent benefits alongside our competitive pay.
What does a Support Worker do?
As a Support Worker you will be expected to provide an outstanding level of support that will enormously contribute to the people we support, living a more comfortable, dignified, liberated and happy life.
* Personal care - helping people to get ready for the day and assisting with bathing, showering and using the bathroom.
* Supporting people to live independently – budget management, paying bills, housework, organising appointments and cooking delicious healthy meals.
* Excellent communication skills/relationship building – supporting the person to understand the world around them and promoting positive relationships.
* Community & Social Inclusion- Supporting individuals to access and participate in their local community and Social events to promote life skills and individuality.
Developing our employees is important to us and through ‘Shape your future’ (what we call our performance appraisal framework) we are able to understand how each individual employee efforts help us all achieve our goal of making a difference to the lives of people with a learning disability. This is done by managers and their team members having meaningful conversations about their day-to-day job, how they are contributing towards our goals and most importantly, how they demonstrate the values that are so important in everything we do.
We believe that our people are amazing, and we wouldn't be able to achieve what we do without them. Any colleague rated as Excellent in their Shape Your Future performance review will be eligible to apply to our ‘You’ve Got Talent’ (YGT) program. YGT is the name of our talent programme which provides opportunities for our people to develop themselves and their career. If you are accepted onto YGT you will have the chance to join a working project that is connected to one of priority areas for our strategic plan, you will be assigned a management mentor, join our leadership training programme, or may be offered a bursary to undertake some additional training.
We are proud to be a Disability Confident Leader and welcome applicants with disabilities to apply for all roles with us. To find out more about the scheme please visit We are proud to be a Disability Confident Leader and welcome applicants with disabilities to apply for all roles with us. To find out more about the scheme please visit the directgov website.
Mencap are strongly encouraging all our colleagues to have the Covid-19 vaccine as a way to help protect each other and the people we support.
No two days are ever the same, sometimes they may be challenging but always positive so click apply now to be considered!
*All roles are subject to an enhanced DBS check and suitable references.
Job ID: 25127
As well as knowing that what we do is making a positive difference to people’s lives, you will receive fair pay and have access to a wide range of rewards and benefits as one of our employees.
* 22 days holiday plus bank holidays increasing to 24 days with effect from April 2023
* Annual leave increases with long service up to 27 days per year plus the ability to buy up to another 10 days via our HolidayPlus scheme
* Service related sick pay when 6 month probation is completed
* Pension contributions into NEST Scheme on a salary sacrifice basis meaning NI savings
* Death in service life cover for a nominated beneficiary under our life assurance scheme
* Loans for debt consolidation, bikes, computers and phones when you have been with us for 6 months
* Interest free season ticket loans
* Discounts and cashback from 3% to 30% at high street shops including major supermarkets, cinemas, gyms, leisure/theme parks, holidays and much more via Mencap Extras
* Opportunity to purchase a health cash plan to claim towards dental, glasses, therapy etc.
* Free access to round the clock employee assistance program for advice and support
* Quarterly award scheme and recognition at every 5 years through our YouRock program
* Access to award winning training and development
*T&C's apply based on contract
At Mencap we work in partnership with people with a learning disability. We do this by providing high quality, flexible services that support people, including young adults, to live as independently as possible in their own homes and in the community.
Everyone wants a purposeful job - to do something meaningful. At Mencap, we can give you that. You will have opportunities to develop as a person, colleague, leader and activist.
You’ll make new friends and feel inspired to reach your potential. We will ask a lot of you - but you’ll get back so much more. With us, it is never ‘just a job’.
In return for your hard work and passion, we can give you real meaning and purpose in your work