Support Worker - Askern, Doncaster (MH)
- Job Reference: 00072754-1
- Date Posted: 7 May 2022
- Recruiter: CV-Library
- Location: Kirk Sandall, Yorkshire
- Salary: £9.70 Per Hour
- Sector: Healthcare & Medical
We are looking for a Support Worker to join our Service based in Asker, Doncaster on a permanent, part time basis (25 hours a week). Shifts will be spread across mornings, afternoons, evenings and sleep ins, weekends and bank holidays.
Are you motivated to have fun, not give up and come up with new ideas to try new things. Then we have got the job for you!
We are looking to recruit an enthusiastic, outgoing person to support 11 people in Askern to live a fulfilled and happy life. You will be part of a positive and supportive team who are motivated by the people we support in a person centred way.
You will have the ability to work flexibly across the week days, weekends and bank holidays depending on your availability and the hours being offered to you. Shifts vary including mornings, afternoons, evenings, sleep ins and waking nights. Flexibility is therefore essential for us to be able to meet the needs of the people we support.
The person specification for this role has been developed with needs of the person who will be supported by the successful applicant. The selection process will use this criterion to match not only skills and experience but also hobbies and interests of applicants with the people being supported.
We are looking for someone to have the following skills:
* able to support flexibly both in the day and at night
* excellent people skills with the ability to recognise the signs of anxiety quickly as well as demonstrating patience and a calm approach in difficult and fast changing situations
* ability to follow the guidance within support plans and work with your fellow professionals
* strong team player, valuing the people you work with and communicating well with them
* a great sense of humour and can handle a bit of banter
* creative and sociable - in particular you like to chat and pay interest in what others have to say
* good cooking/baking skills and have the ability to help teach new skills.
* ability to promote healthy living and enjoy walks around the lake and to go swimming
* ability to use your initiative and come up with new ideas and places to visit and new things to do
* ability to drive, with good knowledge of the Doncaster and surrounding areas
What does a Support Worker do?
As a Support Worker you will be expected to provide an outstanding level of support that will help to ensure the people we support live a more comfortable, dignified, liberated and happy life. You will have excellent communication skills and be a naturally caring and patient personality. Typical responsibilities may include:
* Supporting people to live independently – budget management, paying bills, housework, organising appointments and cooking delicious healthy meals.
* Relationship building – supporting the people we support to understand the world around them and promoting positive relationships.
* Community & Social Inclusion - supporting individuals to access and participate in their local community and social events to promote life skills and individuality.
* Personal care - helping people to get ready for the day. This may include prompting the people we support to take their medication and assisting with bathing, showering and using the bathroom. Not all Support Worker roles include high levels of personal care.
How will Mencap support you in your role?
A good induction to help get you started.
Specific Positive Behaviour Training
Good career development with specialist training.
Be part of a great team helping to do some great things for people with a Learning Disability.
If you can work in a people orientated role, are a caring person who enjoys enabling people to achieve their life goals and aspirations we would love to hear from you. Experience within the care sector is an advantage but not a necessity as full training will be provided.
A Mencap support worker said “I love my job. Being part of people developing and learning new skills gives me a real feeling of achievement”
Have you thought about working for Mencap?
Mencap is a leader in providing excellent support to people with a learning disability. Our vision is a world where people with a learning disability are valued equally, listened to and included.
Everyone wants a purposeful job - to do something really meaningful. Everything we do at Mencap keeps the people we support at the centre of what we do.
With us, it’s never ‘just a job’. In return for your hard work and passion you can find real and meaningful work experience, access to some excellent benefits alongside our competitive pay.
We are proud to be a Disability Confident Leader and welcome applicants with disabilities to apply for all roles with us. To find out more about the scheme please visit We are proud to be a Disability Confident Leader and welcome applicants with disabilities to apply for all roles with us. To find out more about the scheme please visit the directgov website.
At Mencap, we value a diverse and inclusive workplace and we intentionally plan for the success of our colleagues in everything we do. We welcome applications from everyone, so come as you are and join us. Together we are Mencap!
Mencap are strongly encouraging all our colleagues to have the Covid-19 vaccine as a way to help protect each other and the people we support.
No two days are ever the same, sometimes they may be challenging but they will always positive so click apply now to be considered!
*All roles are subject to an enhanced DBS check and suitable references.
Job ID: 24606
As well as knowing that what we do is making a positive difference to people’s lives, you will receive fair pay and have access to a wide range of rewards and benefits as one of our employees.
* 22 days holiday plus bank holidays increasing to 24 days with effect from April 2023
* Annual leave increases with long service up to 27 days per year plus the ability to buy up to another 10 days via our HolidayPlus scheme
* Service related sick pay when 6 month probation is completed
* Pension contributions into NEST Scheme on a salary sacrifice basis meaning NI savings
* Death in service life cover for a nominated beneficiary under our life assurance scheme
* Loans for debt consolidation, bikes, computers and phones when you have been with us for 6 months
* Interest free season ticket loans
* Discounts and cashback from 3% to 30% at high street shops including major supermarkets, cinemas, gyms, leisure/theme parks, holidays and much more via Mencap Extras
* Opportunity to purchase a health cash plan to claim towards dental, glasses, therapy etc.
* Free access to round the clock employee assistance program for advice and support
* Quarterly award scheme and recognition at every 5 years through our YouRock program
* Access to award winning training and development
*T&C's apply based on contract
At Mencap we work in partnership with people with a learning disability