To provide Air Traffic Management (ATM) skills to external and internal clients and to assist in the development of business growth.
The primary output for this role will be provision of ATM expertise to deliver defined artefacts in support of projects to our clients. Artefact production will cover the whole range of Safety Management System (SMS) documentation for ATM, and the applicant should possess analytical skills to examine evidence to support a safety argument. Ability in the use of appropriate tools and techniques together with excellent report writing skills is essential for the delivery of output.
The successful candidate will need to be flexible to work in a variety of locations to meet customer and internal business needs.
Base Location: Malvern, Bristol, Boscombe Down
(Other sites will be considered)
• Act as Technical Lead on ATM safety engineering projects, dealing directly with customers.
• To work as a member of a team on wider ATM related projects, including ATM safety engineering consultancy to military and civilian clients.
• To develop and grow business with our existing clients.
• Identify and establish good relationships with new clients and be able to develop propositions in conjunction with them.
• Actively participate in the management of the ATM team.
• Work with, and advise other technical subject matter experts (SMEs) across QinetiQ in responding to client requests.
1. A Safety Consulting/Engineering role with experience of applying Safety skills to Air Traffic Management (ATM) across Capability areas within QinetiQ.
2. Working experience in a civil or military Air Traffic Management organisation at a senior level (e.g. NATS, Serco, MOD MAA, ADATS or future ATM equipment delivery).
3. A deep understanding of technical, safety and operational aspects of ATM.
4. A broad knowledge of technologies supporting ATM is essential coupled with an understanding of how they are used to provide safe ATM services.
5. Knowledge of key current and future ATM technologies - both ground and aircraft based.
6. Knowledge of communication, navigation and surveillance areas is essential. Communications: VHF/UHF analogue/digital systems, HF Systems, Satellite communications, Ground networks e.g. AFTN, CIDN, ATN, IPv6, VoIP, Tactical Data Links, Concepts such as SWIM, PENS Navigation: Conventional navigation systems e.g. GNSS, VOR, DME, ILS, MLS, NDB, Concepts such as PBN, RNP, RNAV.
7. Surveillance: Primary and Secondary radar with emphasis on Mode S, ADS-B, ADS-C, WAM/MLAT.
8. Knowledge of ATM infrastructure evolution to meet the challenges of air traffic growth, as exemplified by the SESAR work programme.
9. Knowledge of ATM technical standards as developed by ICAO, EUROCAE, EUROCONTROL.
10. Proven experience of leading teams in an aviation environment.
Essential Personal Qualities and Behavioural Requirements:
- An enthusiastic, outgoing , proactive ,success orientated approach.
- Job holder is expected to travel regularly in the UK including overnight stays.
- Seek guidance from others when in doubt and advise/support others where the expertise is considered to be SQEP.
Experience & Qualifications:
1. Safety Qualification at Masters Level or equivalent
2. Technical qualification in an Engineering discipline
3. Demonstrate good communication skills both oral and written
4. Strong organisational skills to include the ability to work flexibly and react to changing priorities, persuasive and responsive
QinetiQ offers an excellent salary and benefits package commensurate with a large international company some of which are highlighted below:-
• Career development across a diverse International organisation
• 50% off meals at selected restaurants , 40% off cinema tickets.
• Modern and collaborative working environment
• Pension - up to 10.5 % Company contributed
• Flexible Working , Social and family events
• Health Cash Plan , Health Screening, Employee Assistance 24/7
• Leading edge technology focus
• Private Medical Insurance and Dental Insurance at additional cost
• Childcare or After School Club , Annual Leave Purchase
• Personal Accident Insurance , Annual Travel Insurance
• Gym and sports facilities available at larger sites
• Payroll Giving and Volunteering - helping charities and local community