- To align the separate Maritime domain Ranges Safety Management Systems (SMS) and to collaborate to align across all QinetiQ managed Ranges.
- Lead Range teams in the active deployment of the Technical Operations Safety Management Plan (SMP) ensuring a local understanding and implementation of the wider SMS.
- Ensure that the SMS, Safety Case (SC), and SC artefacts remain managed and relevant.
- Challenging the operational team’s where/when necessary on any item associated with the articles of the SMS or SC.
- Chair and co-ordinate regular safety management meetings across the Maritime domain Ranges in the form of a discipline Range Safety Committee covering all aspects associated with the delivery, provision, maintenance etc.
- Ensure investments and local change management initiatives take account of necessary safety requirements.
- Conduct regular health dip checks on the various aspects of safety across the Maritime domain to ensure effective SMS deployment by the Range teams, primarily focused on Range Safety but with an overarching view of the SMS.
- Ensure the safety of the Range operations, people, infrastructure and facilities in accordance with QinetiQ SMS and Operating Framework, DSA 03 OME Part 3, and the LTPA Contract.
- To regularly brief the Accountable Manager Ranges (AMR) on the safety status of the Ranges, and immediately inform of significant risks that are not under effective management control.
- Role will require frequent travelling to operational sites, QinetiQ/MOD offices. QinetiQ travel and subsistence rules apply as defined in the Operating Framework.
- Capability: To provide the necessary leadership to drive a single Range Domain Safety culture.
- Capacity: Supporting the delivery of trials, safety and services targets in line with KPIs defined and as specified in contract.
- Culture: Develop an effective environment that facilitates vibrant and collaborative working within all team leaders in line with QinetiQ leadership behaviours and values across all sites.
- Change: Ensure a smooth transition to the new safety organisational operating model, leading members of the team through the change.
- Technical Expertise: Working for the majority of time as an experienced leader within operations and services improving business delivery through customer excellence by ensuring safety as an enabler throughout the lifecycle.
- Collaboration: Through partnership and communication, work across the leadership teams within QinetiQ to create collaborative working relationships that demonstrably drive the QinetiQ capabilities.
- Development: Recognised as an experienced leader. Demonstrable self-progression against competencies / objectives and change management. Driving a culture of continuous development within their team. Review business/personal performance and flow down SMART business and personal development objectives for each financial year, aligned with delivery of overall business strategy and performance targets.
• At Practitioner level. Identifies roles, responsibilities and organisational relationships required to implement the QinetiQ SMS. Advises on whether existing arrangements are appropriate and possible improvements.
• At Practitioner level. Able to assess the suitability of Safety Cases to support the relevant activity.
• At Practitioner level. Knowledge of a range of safety assessment tools and techniques applicable in the domain.
• At Practitioner level. Able to review and advise on the suitability of safety activities conducted at specific stages of a project lifecycle.
• At Practitioner Level. Can identify hazards and hazardous event and able to assess the hazards and risks that can lead to an accident by:
o − systematically deriving, collecting and analysing relevant information in determining hazardous system behaviours
o − analysing the operation and maintenance aspects of the system
o − determining and analysing accident sequences.
• At Practitioner Level. Can systematically derive, collect & analyse relevant information (including operation & maintenance aspects) to determine hazardous system behaviours.
• At Practitioner Level. Can advise on the feasibility of accidents on the basis of appropriate analysis and can explain/implement methods to assess risk Tolerability.
• At Practitioner Level. Understands the ALARP principles and can advise about ALARP issues.
• At Supervised Practitioner Level. As a non-software specialist, provide customers and Test and Evaluation teams with general advice on software safety and support software evaluators with safety advice.
• At Practitioner Level. Able to identify, in safety assessments, whether HF considerations have been addressed satisfactorily or not. Can identify when specialist HF input is required.
• A working knowledge of DSA 03 OME Part 3.
Experience & Qualifications
• Demonstrable experience working in a relevant Maritime domain environment
• Relevant safety qualifications and experience
• Leadership and capability development of teams to meet specific objectives
• Stakeholder engagement and leadership (both within and external to QinetiQ) to ensure successful delivery and excellent customer delivery/service
• Financial and Commercial awareness
As we continue to grow into new markets around the world, there’s never been a more exciting time to join QinetiQ. The formula for success is our appetite for innovation, courage to take on a wide variety of complex challenges.
You’ll experience a unique working environment where teams from different backgrounds, disciplines and experience enjoy collaborating widely and openly as we undertake this exciting and rewarding journey. Through effective teamwork, and pulling together, you’ll get to experience what happens when we all share different perspectives, blend disciplines, and link technologies; constantly discovering new ways of solving complex problems in an diverse and inclusive environment where you can be authentic, feel valued and realise your full potential. Read more about our diverse and inclusive workplace culture here.
Joining QinetiQ offers you an opportunity to work on a broad range of interesting defence-based projects with vast career progression across a global organisation in addition to competitive personal and professional benefits. You’ll receive highly competitive salary and benefits package: our basic salaries are very attractive as we constantly review what’s happening in the market. The range of benefits that we offer include, flexible working, generous holiday entitlements, Health Cash Plan, Private Medical Insurance and Dental Insurance and much more.
QinetiQ is made up of dedicated experts in defence, aerospace, security and related markets, all working together to explore new ways of protecting what matters most. People around the world depend on us for their safety and security, and to enable the safety and security of others. Partnering with our customers, we help to save lives; reduce risks to society; and maintain the global infrastructure on which we all depend. Our site is a unique working environment where teams from different backgrounds, disciplines, and experience enjoy collaborating widely and openly as we undertake this exciting and rewarding journey. Through effective teamwork, and pulling together, we get to experience what happens when we all share different perspectives, blend disciplines, and link technologies; constantly discovering new ways of solving complex problems. Being part of QinetiQ means being central to the safety and security of the world around us. Come and find out how you can play a role.