|Job Title:||Quantity Surveyor|
|Salary:||£30600 - £41000 per annum|
|Contact Name:||Robyn Smith|
|Job Published:||July 02, 2019 10:03|
In this role you will primarily be responsible for all the commercial and/or operational aspects of the contracts allocated to you by your Manager. You will be provided a diverse portfolio of projects from working on our leakage programme to working on a large DPC (Direct Procurement for Customers) project worth billions of pounds.
You will join one of our established and expanding Commercial Teams and over the course of your career at Thames Water you will have the opportunity to work on a variety of Projects ranging in value from £25k to £200M.
To be successful you will have the following skills and experience:
- A degree in Quantity Surveying or equivalent is required for this role.
- This role requires someone who is enthusiastic and can take ownership of tasks, think on their feet, devise plans of action and deliver effective solutions.
- You must be able to work semi-autonomously and be confident as well as professional at all times.
- It is essential that you are inquisitive and have a meticulous attention to detail.
- You should have the ability to hold your ground and offer reasoned advice in a fast-paced environment.
- In depth knowledge of infrastructure and the water industry is preferable.
- Annual and final accounting.
- Estimating and forecasting.
- Ensuring that appropriate processes are in place and monitored on your portfolio of contracts to demonstrate contractual compliance is maintained and any non-performance of the contract is identified, with corrective actions implemented as necessary.
- Resolving general disputes and claims as well as providing advice and support to the business.
- Preparing tender and contract documents, including bills of quantities with the architect and/or the client.
- Undertaking cost analysis for repair and maintenance project work.
- Assisting in establishing the client's requirements and undertaking feasibility studies.
- Performing risk, value management and cost control.
- Identifying, analysing and developing responses to commercial risks.
- Preparing and analysing costings from received tenders.
- Analysing outcomes and writing detailed progress reports.
- Valuing completed work and arranging payments.
You will be working within an established team you will gain insight into how the UK’s largest water company selects and manages its suppliers across a wide spectrum of services, from supplying pumps to repairing leaks, and recruiting temporary staff through to managing our facilities or treatment plant upgrades.
You will be a part of a highly professional Quantity Surveying team empowered to make decisions and responsible for all commercial aspects of their Contracts. The role will provide a diverse range of Quantity Surveying duties in pre and post Contract areas.
This role also offers you the opportunity to become a Chartered Quantity Surveyor and you would have the opportunity to work within a very successful structured APC training programme with the support network of a number of Chartered Quantity Surveyors, RICS APC assessors and colleagues studying to become MRICS and FRICS.
Benefits and package
Our competitive salary package includes an excellent contributory pension, 26 days holiday per year increasing to 30 with length of service and a wider benefits scheme. This includes an annual pay review, season ticket loans, voucher scheme giving you money off in major retail outlets, loyalty awards for continuous service plus much more, including our refer-a-friend bonus, where you can receive up to £1,000 for helping someone get a permanent position within the company.
We’re also proud to be here for our local community around Reading, offering all of our teams two days paid volunteer leave a year, as well as proudly supporting a lot of local events and charities.
Thames Water is the largest water and waste-water services company in the UK. We provide the essential service at the heart of daily life, health and enjoyment to 15 million customers across London and the Thames Valley and we are going through a period of exciting change. On a typical day we supply 2.6 billion litres of top quality drinking water and our 350 sewage treatment works treat more than 4.2bn litres of waste-water. Our 85,000 miles of water mains and sewers would wrap around the world three-and-a-half times.
We are focusing like never before on delivering brilliant services and providing our customers with a great experience. We are in the process of transforming our business in order to achieve this. To help us succeed, we need a range of new skills and capabilities and will be recruiting for these in the coming months. We are on the lookout for talented people across our entire region who are interested in helping us to become the best water and waste-water company in the UK.
Thames Water is an equal opportunity, Disability Confident, and Stonewall diversity champion employer, welcoming applications from all walks of life to join our diverse team. We’re also leading the way with our award-winning mental health and wellbeing strategy.