Pumping Station Process Technician
|Job Title:||Pumping Station Process Technician|
|Salary:||£22440 - £28000 per annum|
|Contact Name:||Lizzy Gray|
|Job Published:||June 11, 2019 17:07|
The role of this technician is to perform a range of activities to ensure that all the plant and equipment associated within four strategic pumping stations within London is kept serviceable and ready to be operated safely and efficiently.
- Manual operation of strategic storm pumping stations during heavy rainfall or storm conditions.
- Operation of very large old fashioned diesel engines and pumps.
- Routine checks, basic maintenance, problem solving, cleaning and safety works related activities to ensure that our pumping stations, plant and equipment are well maintained and ready to operate when a storm event occurs.
- Monitoring and inspecting equipment e.g. lifting and unblocking pumps, carrying out planned preventative maintenance, ensuring equipment, generators and telemetry are working by doing a test run and preparing and running storm pumps.
- CP2 - Confined space entries, and sewage tank cleaning.
The role therefore requires the pumping technicians to be on standby on a 2 week in 6 week basis, 1 week in 6 on 1st call, & 1 week in 6 on 2nd call
A duty standby allowance is paid for participating in standby roster, and in addition to this allowance a call out fee and overtime is paid for all out of hours working.
To be successful you will have the following skills and experience:
- Experience working within a pumping station, or on trunk sewer.
- Experience working within confined spaces.
- Experienced and comfortable working with mechanical equipment.
- Previous experience working in an outside manual role.
- The ability to work under pressure and in stressful situations.
- Some computer data input /enquiry experience is desirable.
We need someone who has a ‘can do’ attitude and proactive approach to work.
You will have basic literacy and numeracy skills and, if necessary, must be prepared to be trained in safety procedures including confined space entry.
What’s in it for you:
This will involve being part of a small but vital team that provides 24/7 cover to ensure London is protected from flooding.
Our competitive salary package includes an excellent contributory pension, and a wider benefits scheme. This includes an annual pay review, season ticket loans, voucher scheme giving you money off in major retail outlets, loyalty awards for continuous service plus much more, including our refer-a-friend bonus, where you can receive up to £1,000 for helping someone get a permanent position within the company.
We’re also proud to be here for our local community, offering all of our teams two days paid volunteer leave a year, as well as proudly supporting a lot of local events and charities.
Thames Water is the largest water and waste-water services company in the UK. We provide the essential service at the heart of daily life, health and enjoyment to 15 million customers across London and the Thames Valley and we are going through a period of exciting change. On a typical day we supply 2.6 billion litres of top quality drinking water and our 350 sewage treatment works treat more than 4.2bn litres of waste-water. Our 85,000 miles of water mains and sewers would wrap around the world three-and-a-half times. We are focusing like never before on delivering brilliant services and providing our customers with a great experience. We are in the process of transforming our business in order to achieve this. To help us succeed, we need a range of new skills and capabilities and will be recruiting for these in the coming months. We are on the lookout for talented people across our entire region who are interested in helping us to become the best water and waste-water company in the UK.
Thames Water is an equal opportunity, Disability Confident, and Stonewall diversity champion employer, welcoming applications from all walks of life to join our diverse team. We’re also leading the way with our award-winning mental health and wellbeing strategy.
Get similar jobs like these by email
By submitting your details you agree to our T&C's