Job Title: Principal Electrical Design Engineer
Location: Bristol or Plymouth or Rosyth, UK - Hybrid - working from home options available
Compensation: Competitive Salary + benefits
Role Type: Full time / Permanent
Role ID: SF45693Build the Future
At Babcock, we're working to create a safe and secure world, together, and if you join us, you can play your part as a Principal Electrical Design Engineer in Bristol, Plymouth or Rosyth.
As an international defence company, we support and enhance our customers' defence and security capabilities and critical assets, meeting their requirements of value for money, increased availability, modernisation and flexibility.Marine Engineering & Systems
Principal Electrical Design Engineer role is based within Marine Engineering & Systems.
Babcock is rapidly establishing itself as an international Naval ship designer and builder. We have built on the success of the UK MoD Type 31 Frigate and have secured contracts for frigate export variants (AH140) with overseas customers. As well as supporting exports of frigates the engineering team is actively working on other ship newbuild and life extension programs around the world, from small fast attack craft all the way up to aircraft carriers.
We are looking to significantly expand our engineering and ship design teams in order to exploit these opportunities and so if you are interested in taking your career in an exciting new direction then consider Babcock for your next move.
You will join a national team of over 800 engineers and designers within the Marine Sector of Babcock. We are a leading design consultancy providing naval architecture, marine system engineering, electrical engineering, design modelling and project support services to the marine and defence markets. We have base offices in Bristol, Rosyth or Plymouth, and offer flexible working with office attendance and travel to meet project requirements.The roleThe difference our new Principal Electrical Design Engineer will make
As a Principal Electrical Design Engineer, you'll have a role that's out of the ordinary. This is a highly prestigious position within our complex shipbuilding programme, developing designs through concept and early-stage design as well as supporting the bidding process. This role will provide you with the opportunity to deliver complex electrical/ electronic solutions within an exciting, interesting team environment. Each week will provide you with new challenges that will test your skills and knowledge.
Day-to-day, you will be responsible for the delivery of Electrical/Electronic aspects of marine system design and ensure it complies with the relevant legislation. You will manage the Integration using practical electrical, electronic combat and automation product solutions not only within the same disciplines but defining the interfaces with others constructively and mechanically.
You will ensure that the technical requirements produced at product and sub-system levels meet the customers' requirements and are able to verify and validated successfully. You will develop Electrical/Electronic engineering design solutions for a variety of different platforms across the full Engineering Lifecycle. This will include substantiating the integrity and performance of new system designs within their operating environments.
As a Principal Engineer, you will provide electrical and electronic design support by preparing and checking design documentation, reviews, estimates and schedules, also, in support of tender responses requiring design input. Supervising, planning and controlling work to time, cost and quality.
In addition, you will be part of the Technical Authority for complex multi-discipline tasks and projects. You will produce, review and approve calculations, analyses, drawings, models, design basis documentation and technical reports, in accordance with project requirements.
At Babcock, we have a history of helping talent go far. With our track record of innovation, you'll continually develop your knowledge and expertise.
We offer flexible working to give people more options to better integrate their work and personal life, whilst ensuring that business needs are met. This role provides flexible working with office attendance and travel to meet project requirements. We are happy to discuss this with you in more detail. Essential experience
What we offer
- Ideally, you will be Degree qualified but HND/HNC level qualification in an Engineering discipline with extensive experience in relevant field will be considered
- Ideally, you will be a member of a relevant institution (e.g., RINA, IET, IMechE, IMarEst etc.) and hold or working towards Chartered status or you will have significant demonstrable engineering experience and capable of registration with the Engineering Council at CEng level.
- You will be a proven Principal Electrical/Electronic Design Engineer or Senior Engineer ready to take the next step with significant experience in overseeing projects and skilled in supporting and developing less experienced team members
- Experience of all phases of the engineering lifecycle and configuration control system
- It would be beneficial if you have experience working on UK naval marine shipbuilding projects or defence related design experience, but this is not essential. Electrical & Electronics experience in other industries would be considered including facilities, Oil & Gas and Aviation
- Either already UK Security cleared or able for achieve UK SC clearance
Generous benefits including:
- Generous holiday allowance of 25 days plus 8 bank holidays
- Reservist in the armed forces receive 10 days special paid leave
- Matched contribution pension scheme up to 8% of salary, with life assurance
- Working from home and flexible work patterns
- Employee assistance programme supporting physical, mental and financial wellbeing
- Flexible benefits, including cycle to work scheme, discounts and our Share Ownership Scheme
- Autonomy. Trusted and empowered to be at your best
For over 130 years, we have helped to defend nations, protect communities and build a better world. To continue, we must adapt, advance and be a sustainable business with a shared goal. Change begins with our people and our shared Principles: be curious; be courageous; own and deliver; think: outcomes; collaborate; and be kind. These values not only guide the way we work, but also our efforts to reach net-zero carbon. Yes, our ambitions are big, but together, we can achieve them.Armed Forces Covenant
We are proud to support the Armed Forces community by honouring the Armed Forces Covenant. If you are a reservist in the armed forces, we provide up to ten days special paid leave in support of your training commitments.Application Guidance
All applications should be made online. If you have a disability or need any reasonable adjustments during the application and selection stages, please let us know. We're committed to building an inclusive culture where everyone's free to thrive. We are happy to talk about flexible working - please ask about alternative patterns of work at interview.
Design Engineer, Electrical Engineering, Electronics Engineer, Electrical, Systems Engineer, Engineering