Duties and responsibilities:
· Responsibility to review, monitor and prepare documents that form part of or support the Statutory Development Plan and other planning and regeneration documents as required.
· Be a point of technical liaison internally for planning policy advice and information including but not exclusively, providing advice and guidance to Elected Members.
· Responsibility to undertake work on a particular specialism and lead on policy. This will involve day-to-day responsibility for work and advice, including the identification of issues to be addressed.
· Prepare and write reports/briefs in order to represent the Planning Policy Team at committee/cabinet, project steering group boards and other stakeholder groups.
· Support as necessary the representation of Walsall in planning policy issues at the national, regional and sub-regional levels, including developing comments on Government planning policy and contributing to representations on the development plans of other local authorities and development proposals in surrounding areas that would have implications for the Borough.
· Ensure efficiency in the delivery of planning policy projects within agreed time constraints.
· Contribute towards the effective implementation and application of planning policy by ensuring advice is provided on planning documents, planning applications and development proposals with planning policy implications.
· Provide research, evidence and monitoring support to the development and review of planning and regeneration policy, including through the commissioning of analyses and/or advice where necessary.
· Support the Team Leader in the preparation of statements and evidence for public inquiries/examinations and to give evidence at public enquiries/examinations or other proceedings if required for the development plan or other planning policy documents including planning applications or planning proposals as necessary.
· Negotiate and liaise with developers, Councillors, other Council Officers, other authorities, development agencies and statutory undertakers, members of the public and others in dealing with planning policy matters.
· Develop and maintain relationships with key stakeholders internal and external, Local Authorities, Contractors, Consultants and developers.
· Prepare documents and relevant content for future legal planning applications.
· Chair and participate in working groups, task groups, and to be fully involved in team and service planning.