Personal Care Assistant
- Job Reference: 00032552-1
- Date Posted: 24 December 2020
- Recruiter: CV-Library
- Location: United Kingdom
- Salary: £12.50 Per Hour
- Sector: Healthcare & Medical, Covid-19
- Job Type: Permanent
Personal care assistant - 1-to-1 support, 2 waking nights per week
I am a 39yo disabled man with complex care needs due to Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy. I use a team of PAs to support me 24/7 living independently at home. I am currently looking for someone to work 2 nightshifts per week. This will include weekend nights
I have severe muscle weakness in all areas which restricts all movement, requiring the use of a ventilator and electric wheelchair. I require assistance with all aspects of personal care, getting out socially and at-work support, full training is given where needed. You must be OK with cats (I have two), and be comfortable supporting me as a gay man living with my husband. We enjoy travelling (in normal times), baking and drinking cocktails and love to have fun.
What I'm looking for
As this role involves 1-to-1 care, it is most important for me to find someone who I can build a rapport with. The ideal candidate for this role will be punctual, reliable, trustworthy, caring and understanding. You will be able to recognise the responsibility of your role in maintaining my well-being without becoming overwhelmed by it. You will be given training, but it is important that you can be comfortable with the responsibility of supporting someone on life support on a 1-to-1 basis. You will be comfortable taking direction from me on how to provide my care. Although I am looking for someone who is reliable and professional, the role can also be social, fun and relaxed. For me, the most important qualifications are your own personal qualities, not your care experience. No experience is required and full training will be given.
Interviews will be carried out over video messaging - I can use zoom, Skype, FaceTime and most other platforms, whatever you prefer. As part of the interview I will ask you to describe your living situation and explain the steps you are taking to minimise risk of contracting Covid-19, in order to assess risk to both of us. If the interview is successful I will invite you to my flat for a practical trial.
Pay is £12.50 per hour. Successful applicants will be entitled to holiday pay and will be issued with employment contracts. All applicants must be willing to undertake an Enhanced DBS check and provide references.
I aim to be a respectful, understanding and supportive employer, because I know that happy staff provide better care. I also personally invest hours of training in each new PA and want to see them succeed. This is NOT a generic job with an employer that doesn't care.
MAIN DUTIES:This is an overview of all the assistance I require, your specific duties will depend on the shifts you have agreed to. Training will be provided for all duties.
* Managing my ventilator and ensuring it is connected and functionally correctly at all times
* Monitoring my health and wellbeing throughout the shift
* Getting me washed and dressed in the mornings
* Getting me undressed and ready for bed in the evenings
* Transferring me in and out of wheelchair/shower chair/bed as required, using a hoist.
* Assisting me with toileting
* Assisting me with dental care, skin and nail care, including monitoring any problem areas
* Preparing food and drink as required.
* Assisting me with eating at mealtimes.
* Carrying out basic physiotherapy stretches as instructed by a physiotherapist
* Supporting me to access technology e.g. computers, TV, Ipad & phone
* Support me with pet care for my cats – including feeding, cleaning litter trays and other pet care tasks
* Assistance with turning, repositioning, toileting & monitoring of ventilation.
* Sleeping will not be permitted on these shifts.
* Good observational skills
* Ability to take instruction and listen carefully
* Punctual, reliable and trustworthy
* Good verbal communication skills
* Not squeamish about personal care
* No experience necessary but welcome