Nuclear Repair Coppersmith / Mechanical Plumber
- Job Reference: 00096219-1
- Date Posted: 18 November 2022
- Recruiter: CV-Library
- Location: Helensburgh, Argyllshire
- Salary: On Application
- Sector: Engineering
- Job Type: Permanent
Job Title: Nuclear Repair Coppersmith / Mechanical Plumber
Location: Faslane, Helensburgh, GB, G84 8HL
Role Type: Full time / Permanent
Role ID: 43682
At Babcock, we're creating a safe and secure world, together and you can play your part. Join our newly forming one Babcock shift team that's at the forefront of supporting the Royal Navy at HM Naval Base Clyde. You'll play an integral role ensuring the serviceability of submarines and surface ships through detailed maintenance, repairs and refit periods.
Working hours are 36 per week. Monday to Thursday 8.05am to 4.45pm and Friday 8.05am to 12.05pm
Who we are looking for?
We are looking for an experienced Nuclear Repair Coppersmith / Mechanical Plumber with a proven track record who will scope out tasks, produce wire templates of pipework, access material requirements, bend up pipework/braze connections/valves ECT as well as work with mechanical fitters and welders, the NDE department and test shop as and when required.
What will you be doing?
* Completion of all planned preventative maintenance (PPM) and nuclear implicated work to ensure the department meets the objectives of the business.
* Identification/rectification of all defects and alterations to ensure the continued availability and performance of HMNB Clyde Submarines, Surface Ships and the Infrastructure Estate.
* Ensure that work is carried out in line with current legislation and site processes and make suggestions on improving systems and processes to increase productivity in accordance with set objectives and timescales.
* Work within all H&S legislation, Safe Systems of Work and control of work processes within BM&T Clyde policies.
The experience you'll bring
* Experience in Pipe Bending, Brazing, mechanical APT, Pipe Material Awareness, and pipework Jointing Method/Procedures.
* You will hold a recognised Coppersmith Apprenticeship to N/SVQ Level 3 or HNC and above Coppersmith discipline and industry experience.
* You will have great communication skills, as you will be engaging with people of varied levels from both Navy and Civilian personnel.
* You will be able to withstand harsh environments, comfortable working at heights and in confined spaces and be capable of thinking on your feet in order to problem solve and work within a team.
* Experience of Maintenance Procedures, Risk Assessments, Method Statements, COSHH assessments and Safe Systems of Work with excellent team working and interpersonal skills.
* Candidates must demonstrate that they meet and uphold our Purpose and Principles.
* You must be able to achieve the appropriate security clearance level for this role.
What a role with Babcock offers?
Generous benefits including:
* Generous holiday entitlement, 227 hours holiday entitlement increasing to 263 after 5 years of service (includes public and privileged holidays).
* Matched contribution pension scheme with life assurance
* Flexible benefits, including cycle to work scheme, discounts, and our Share Ownership Scheme
* Employee Assistance programme
* Training and development opportunities
* Autonomy. Feel trusted to deliver
For more than a century, Babcock, the Aerospace and Defence company, has been trusted to deliver bespoke, highly skilled engineering services. We help customers in the UK and around the world to improve the capability, reliability, and availability of their most critical assets within the four market sectors of Marine, Land, Aviation, and Nuclear, underpinned by a deep understanding of technology integration, unique infrastructure, and specialist training.
HM Naval Base Clyde is located 6 miles north of Helensburgh in the West of Scotland. We are well placed for commuter links to Glasgow and the wider region, but it is recommended for employees to travel by car due to the location.
Armed Forces Covenant
We are proud to support the Armed Forces community by honouring the Armed Forces Covenant.
All applications should be made online.
We are committed to building an inclusive culture and strive to attract talent who thrive in an inclusive and flexible working environment. If you have a disability or need any reasonable adjustments during the application and selection stages, please let us know and will respond in a way that best fits your specific needs.
Please follow the link when you apply to find out more about how COVID-19 is impacting Recruitment and On-boarding for applicants.