MetOc Support Associate
- Job Reference: 00000301-1
- Date Posted: 19 May 2020
- Location: United Kingdom
- Salary: On Application
The role involves working in a team supplying operational meteorological and oceanographic support and expertise to the UK MOD. It is a role that could be filled an ex-naval Junior officer or rating from the HM branch.
The successful candidate should be familiar with the standard types of meteorological and oceanographic data, the generation of derived higher level products and show an appreciation of the issues affecting their real world exploitation.
This work will exploit the outputs of numerical weather prediction models primarily using web based tools on a secure system. There will also be an element of developing the service provided in response to customer service change requests which will involve a level of scripting.
By working closely alongside the existing team there will be considerable opportunity to build domain knowledge and gain valuable real world application experience. The work will be conducted in standard office hours, however, because this activity forms a part of an operational services there may be a requirement to provide responsive customer support at tempo.
• Accountable to the Project Manager for delivering work against specific project codes to time, budget and standard.
• Accountable to the Team Leader for performance, specifically meeting objectives and demonstrating positive behaviours in areas such as integrity, collaboration and business development.
• Good team-working ethic.
• Good communication skills
• Ability to generate clear and well-structured input to reports and customer presentations
• Must be diligent and have an eye for attention to detail.
• The individual will only be employed once an SC clearance has been achieved, can only be a UK national (dual nationals are specifically excluded) and must be willing to obtain a Developed Vetting.
Experience and Qualifications
• Good degree in Meteorology/Oceanography and some practical experience.
• Completion of HM officers or ratings training and significant practical experience
Desirable (at least one of the following):
• Experience with the Visual Weather forecasting system.
• Some experience or interest in GIS applications, modelling and understanding of data formats, contents and manipulation.
• Some experience of scripting languages e.g. Python API with SML
• Some experience of OpenGIS standard Web Service protocols.
• A driving licence to facilitate travel to Customer sites.