Mechanical and Electrical Technician
|Job Title:||Mechanical and Electrical Technician|
|Salary:||£32000 - £35000 per annum|
|Contact Name:||Robyn Smith|
|Job Published:||August 13, 2019 13:32|
We are seeking a mechanical and electrical technician to ensure that all equipment at our sewage treatment works are running safely and efficiently using proactive and reactive maintenance methods.
Day to day duties will include:
Investigating plant failures and carrying out repairs as quickly and efficiently as possible in order to avoid interruptions to the process. This may involve investigating and diagnosing complex faults and carrying out repairs during incidents.
Carrying out scheduled planned maintenance work on mechanical and electrical equipment in compliance with company procedures in order to minimise plant breakdowns.
Providing technical advice to the wider team, making reference to up to date technical knowledge, and provide training or support for technical trainees if required.
Using technical equipment such as various pumps and associated control gear, 3 phase motors, starters and controls, electronic control systems such as VSD’s, automatic valves and penstocks, flow, level and pressure measurement, programmable logic controllers, variable speed drives and controls, chemical handling and dosing equipment.
To be successful you will have the following skills and experience:
- You should be a time served apprentice with significant experience of electrical systems working in a “true multi-skilled” capacity.
- Previous experience in an electrical apprenticeship, ONC/HNC in engineering, NVQ or C&G level 3 in mechanical engineering with an upskill qualification in mechanical NVQ2/3 is crucial.
- For individuals with mechanical or electrical experience only, we will look to develop the right people to dual skilled status.
- Ideally you will have been upskilled with a mechanical qualification to allow inspecting, maintaining, fault diagnose, test, install, modify or repair mechanical and electrical plant equipment in a safe and efficient manner.
- Knowledge and awareness of health and safety issues are crucial.
- The work will require physical fitness; as you will work in confined spaces with successful completion of the appropriate training.
- Participation in a 24/7 out of hours’ standby rota will be required after a suitable period of training and assessment for which you will receive additional payment.
- A valid driving licence is essential and all necessary equipment such as vehicle and tools are provided.
What’s in it for you:
This is a fantastic opportunity for an experienced mechanical and electrical maintenance technician to work at the most modern Thames Water site. You will gain experience on a wide range of plants and equipment some of which are innovative investments providing exciting new experiences. You will join a close-knit team which varies in age and ability all performing at a high level. This role offers great learning potential with the ability to cross skill into other disciplines.
Our competitive salary package includes an excellent contributory pension, 24 days holiday per year increasing to 30 with length of service and a wider benefits scheme. This includes an annual pay review, season ticket loans, voucher scheme giving you money off in major retail outlets, loyalty awards for continuous service plus much more, including our refer-a-friend bonus, where you can receive up to £1,000 for helping someone get a permanent position within the company.
We’re also proud to be here for our local community, offering all of our teams two days paid volunteer leave a year, as well as proudly supporting a lot of local events and charities.
Thames Water is the largest water and waste-water services company in the UK. We provide the essential service at the heart of daily life, health and enjoyment to 15 million customers across London and the Thames Valley and we are going through a period of exciting change. On a typical day we supply 2.6 billion litres of top quality drinking water and our 350 sewage treatment works treat more than 4.2bn litres of waste-water. Our 85,000 miles of water mains and sewers would wrap around the world three-and-a-half times.
We are focusing like never before on delivering brilliant services and providing our customers with a great experience. We are in the process of transforming our business in order to achieve this. To help us succeed, we need a range of new skills and capabilities and will be recruiting for these in the coming months. We are on the lookout for talented people across our entire region who are interested in helping us to become the best water and waste-water company in the UK.
Thames Water is an equal opportunity, Disability Confident, and Stonewall diversity champion employer, welcoming applications from all walks of life to join our diverse team. We’re also leading the way with our award-winning mental health and wellbeing strategy.
Get similar jobs like these by email
By submitting your details you agree to our T&C's