|Job Title:||Maths Tutor|
|Salary:||£25,468.53 - £29,130.26 pro-rated|
|Start Date:||2019-09-16 00:00:00|
|Contact Name:||Lucy Mellor|
|Job Published:||September 16, 2019 13:35|
HMP Peterborough are currently recruiting for a Maths Tutor on a fixed term contract.
As a Maths Tutor you will provide learners support to increase their Maths level and pass a recognised qualification. You will also plan, develop, implement and evaluate activities and appropriate courses
HMP/YOI Peterborough is the country’s only purpose-built prison for both male and female prisoners (kept separate at all times), including a 12-place mother and baby unit. We are committed to offering education and development programmes to provide residents with the skills required to enter employment on release, so reducing the chances of further offending. Providing creative outlets, such as workshop activities, helps to equip those in custody for when they are released. We use ‘Restorative Approaches’ to bring people in conflict into dialogue. Using a skilled and structured process, those who have been harmed have an opportunity to be heard and those that have caused the harm are held to account for what they have done. We have strong links with the community outside through a variety of partnerships, including our outreach activity Outside Links’ offering support and advice to both residents and their families.
37.5 hours per week
Benefits including 28 days holiday (inclusive of bank holidays),pension, discounted health cover, subsidised gym membership, childcare voucher scheme, free meals on duty and free on-site parking
£25,468.53 - £29,130.26 pro-rated
6 months fixed term contractMain responsibilities
- Work effectively and efficiently with the Learning & Skills and regime delivery teams to produce innovative and stimulating lessons for prisoners to encourage participation whatever level the prisoners are starting from
- Effectively plan courses and lessons by preparing and using schemes of work and lesson plans for all classes for the benefit of the learner as for evidence at inspection/lesson observations
- Ensure all relevant policies and procedures, such as Security, Health and Safety and Prisoner Welfare, are adhered to and take responsibility of the work area
- Identify the needs of individuals in classes and groups and develop differentiate teaching methods and resources accordingly
- Assist in any marketing strategies related to courses, delivery and training within normal work hours and out of normal work hours
- Monitor take-up of taught course and employ strategies to increase take-up to ensure maximum attendance
- Monitor attendance, achievement and progression of learners reporting any difficulties to your Line Manager
- Attend team meetings to evaluate progress and promote good practice and attend all staff meetings, which will include giving feedback on classes and ideas for development of teaching practice and the Department generally
- Establish a rapport with prisoners to encourage them to take their first steps in learning and achieve a recognised qualification
- Monitor quality control of work produced by prisoners to maintain standards required
- Contribute to course reviews and setting and monitoring action plans
- Full teaching qualification (Minimum of CTLLS) or PGCE
- Experience of delivering Maths in the classroom
- Recognised Level 3 qualification or above in an identified subject and professional experience
- Have an interest in the rehabilitation and resettlement of offenders
- Have an ability to communicate effectively at all times through different mediums, including spoken and written communication.
- Experience of instructing/supporting people with challenging behaviour
- Assessor or IV qualification is desirable. Must have a willingness to work towards these qualifications
- Experience in a prison environment
- Ability to deliver a range of subjects or courses to learners
In the UK and Ireland, Sodexo employs some 35,000 employees to deliver integrated facilities management services to clients at over 2,000 locations in the corporate, healthcare, education, leisure, defence and justice sectors. With an annual turnover of over £1bn, we provide everything from catering, cleaning and reception to security, laboratory and grounds maintenance services, enabling our clients to focus on their core business.
Sodexo Justice aims to change lives for the better by reducing reoffending and improving the quality of life for those under our supervision and in our care. We deliver safe, effective and innovative custodial and community rehabilitation services that challenge offending behaviour, protect the public and offer individuals the opportunity to change their lives for the better. We deliver the total operation of five prisons within the UK and own six Community Rehabilitation Companies in partnership with crime reduction charity Nacro.
Sodexo and our clients are committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and adults within a regulated activity. Certain roles will require applicants to undergo screening appropriate to the post, including checks with past employers and the Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) and/ or Disclosure Scotland.
Please note all roles within Sodexo Justice are subject to security and recruitment checks which may include a Social Media Check. You will also be asked to provide 3 years’ worth of references and request employment history details from the HMRC.
Get similar jobs like these by email
By submitting your details you agree to our T&C's