Male Support Worker - Plymouth
- Job Reference: 00072717-1
- Date Posted: 7 May 2022
- Recruiter: CV-Library
- Location: Saint Budeaux, Devon
- Salary: £9.70 Per Hour
- Sector: Healthcare & Medical
We are looking for an engaging and positive Male Outreach Support Worker to join our Plymouth service on a part time basis, permanent basis (30 hours per week). Due to the nature of this service you will need to be a driver with a full UK driving licence.
You don't need to have any prior experience but it is essential that you share our values. As long as you have a positive attitude and want to improve the lives of those with a learning disability, we will support you with progression opportunities throughout your career with us.
Support workers must be flexible in the hours they can work, as support can be required 24 hours a day. You will work on a rota basis throughout the week, weekends and bank holidays with sleep-ins (sleep ins are compliant and in line with national living wage) as well. We plan our rota's in advance and will try to work with you in order to suit both your needs and the service.
About the Service
Within this Service we support a number of individuals with a learning disability.
It's really important that you're comfortable when it comes to working with people who have complex health needs as there will be personal and medication support required within this service, as well as support when it comes to eating and drinking - but our award winning training will ensure that you are fully equipped to be the best Support Worker that you can be!
This is a really happy service with lots of exciting things going on! You might be involved in the latest project, the staff and the people we support are working together to create a sensory room in the property, putting in new lights and jukebox!
What does a Support Worker do?
As a Support Worker you will be expected to provide an outstanding level of support that will help to ensure the people we support live a more comfortable, dignified, liberated and happy life. You will have excellent communication skills and be a naturally caring and patient personality. Typical responsibilities may include:
* Supporting people to live independently – budget management, paying bills, housework, organising appointments and cooking delicious healthy meals.
* Relationship building – supporting the people we support to understand the world around them and promoting positive relationships.
* Community & Social Inclusion - supporting individuals to access and participate in their local community and social events to promote life skills and individuality.
* Personal care - helping people to get ready for the day.This may include prompting the people we support to take their medication and assisting with bathing, showering and using the bathroom.Not all Support Worker roles include high levels of personal care.
Have you thought about working for Mencap?
Mencap is a leader in providing excellent support to people with a learning disability. Our vision is a world where people with a learning disability are valued equally, listened to and included.
Everyone wants a purposeful job - to do something really meaningful. Everything we do at Mencap keeps the people we support at the centre of what we do.
With us, it’s never ‘just a job’. In return for your hard work and passion you can find real and meaningful work experience, access to some excellent benefits alongside our competitive pay.
We are proud to be a Disability Confident Leader and welcome applicants with disabilities to apply for all roles with us. To find out more about the scheme please visit We are proud to be a Disability Confident Leader and welcome applicants with disabilities to apply for all roles with us. To find out more about the scheme please visit the directgov website.
At Mencap, we value a diverse and inclusive workplace and we intentionally plan for the success of our colleagues in everything we do. We welcome applications from everyone, so come as you are and join us. Together we are Mencap!
Mencap are strongly encouraging all our colleagues to have the Covid-19 vaccine as a way to help protect each other and the people we support.
No two days are ever the same, sometimes they may be challenging but they will always positive so click apply now to be considered!
*All roles are subject to an enhanced DBS check and suitable references.
* Due to the nature of this service, we are looking for male only applicants. This post is exempt under the Equality Act 2010, Schedule 9, Part 1.
Job ID: 24857
As well as knowing that what we do is making a positive difference to people’s lives, you will receive fair pay and have access to a wide range of rewards and benefits as one of our employees.
* 22 days holiday plus bank holidays increasing to 24 days with effect from April 2023
* Annual leave increases with long service up to 27 days per year plus the ability to buy up to another 10 days via our HolidayPlus scheme
* Service related sick pay when 6 month probation is completed
* Pension contributions into NEST Scheme on a salary sacrifice basis meaning NI savings
* Death in service life cover for a nominated beneficiary under our life assurance scheme
* Loans for debt consolidation, bikes, computers and phones when you have been with us for 6 months
* Interest free season ticket loans
* Discounts and cashback from 3% to 30% at high street shops including major supermarkets, cinemas, gyms, leisure/theme parks, holidays and much more via Mencap Extras
* Opportunity to purchase a health cash plan to claim towards dental, glasses, therapy etc.
* Free access to round the clock employee assistance program for advice and support
* Quarterly award scheme and recognition at every 5 years through our YouRock program
* Access to award winning training and development
*T&C's apply based on contract
At Mencap we work in partnership with people with a learning disability. We do this by providing high quality, flexible services that support people, including young adults, to live as independently as possible in their own homes and in the community.
Everyone wants a purposeful job - to do something meaningful. At Mencap, we can give you that. You will have opportunities to develop as a person, colleague, leader and activist.
You’ll make new friends and feel inspired to reach your potential. We will ask a lot of you - but you’ll get back so much more. With us, it is never ‘just a job’.
In return for your hard work and passion, we can give you real meaning and purpose in your work