Linux Kernel Engineer
- Job Reference: 00084734-1
- Date Posted: 2 August 2022
- Recruiter: CV-Library
- Location: London
- Salary: On Application
- Sector: Engineering
- Job Type: Permanent
OPEN TO FULLY REMOTE
Linaro has driven open source software development on Arm since 2010, providing the tools, Linux kernel quality and security needed for a solid foundation to innovate on. Linaro works with member companies and the open source community to maintain the Arm software ecosystem and enable new markets on Arm architecture.
If you have a passion for open source and want to be part of a community, then you belong at Linaro. Linaro offers you the opportunity to advance your career in an outstanding environment for professional growth, all while working alongside a team of world-class open source experts on leading edge technology.
A landing team is a team composed of Linaro engineers, and engineers from a specific SoC vendor. The team is formed to tackle a specific set of problems related to Linux and a particular SoC. Currently landing teams are focusing efforts on kernel enablement, kernel patch submission upstream, integration of multimedia codecs into the Linux multimedia frameworks, the integration of accelerated graphic components into the Linux graphical subsystem and the development of member builds for a vendor's SOCs.
Your role will be to advise and collaborate on the development and submission upstream of the Linux kernel support for a range of SoCs, including leading edge ARM based SoC, and target development boards.
* Keenly understands ARM based hardware support in the Linux kernel.
* Code review expertise to accelerate the patch submission upstream
* Works with platform kernel specialists to ensure common frameworks.
* Collaborates well with upstream developers where appropriate.
* Test development
Required skills and experience:
* Capacity to learn new systems and techniques quickly.
* Extensive experience in Linux kernel development.
* Experience submitting code to upstream projects.
* Experience with ARM related kernel components and drivers.
* Enabling Linux on ARM based devices, providing code review
* Strong English communication skills, especially over phone, email and IRC.
Desired skills and experience:
* Open source development tools and methodology.
* Qualcomm Snapdragon processor family
* Linux power management framework
* Linux network and Bluetooth drivers and stack
* Linux media subsystem
* User space multimedia frameworks such as Gstreamer or FFmpeg
* Open Source Graphics (DRM, KMS, Mesa, Xorg and/or Wayland)
* Debian, Open Embedded or the Yocto Project.
* Experience with Bugzilla, Gerrit and JIRA
Subject to Covid-19 restrictions, international travel will be required, from time to time, for attendance at Linaro Connect meetings, industry conferences, team sprints and on rare occasions to Member/customer sites