In short, ensure the company is providing wholesome drinking water to our 15 million customers.
The Microbiology Analyst’s role involves analysis of samples in a fast turnaround environment. The department’s principle analyses include tests for indicator organisms e.g. E.coli / coliforms, ACC’s and membrane filtration e.g. enterococci and Cl. perfringens. However, the department also carry out a variety of other analysis such as taste & odour, Cryptosporidium & Giardia testing as well as the analysis of raw waters for algae and other biological quality indicators.
On a day to day basis you're responsible analysing samples within a defined area to meet UKAS (United Kingdom Accreditation Service), Environment Agency and DWI (Drinking Water Inspectorate) standards and relevant H&S HSE (Health and Safety Executive) standards.
Key areas of accountability will include:
- Producing, recording, maintaining and verifying data within a highly regulated UKAS accredited Laboratory
- Running a variety of automated and manual Lab techniques, relevant to the water industry
- Carrying out basic maintenance of the equipment
- Working in a highly regulated environment giving an excellent customer service to everyone you meet
- Working with quality management systems to ISO 17025 and automated data handling
- As part of the team you will be required to work in a weekend rota including some bank holidays and a standby rota
- Educated to an A level in a science discipline and a grade B in GCSE Maths (or equivalent)
- Ability to follow strict instructions and guidelines
- Thrive on delivering exceptional results
- Comfortable in carrying out routine tests and analysis
- Happy with repetitive work and has a real passion for working in a laboratory
- Passionate about providing exceptional customer service
- Ability to work to continuous improvement and putting your ideas forward
This is an opportunity to put your skills into action in our labs. Testing over 2 million samples a year and providing the highest quality drinking water to the Thames Water region.
This role really puts you at the heart of the business as you join a team dedicated to providing excellent customer service. Our labs are a key part of the business which allows us to monitor that our drinking water is safe and clean and that our waste product is treated in the correct way. Not only do we analyse samples from our customers’ homes but also from abstraction, through our sites and into supply.
Our labs have won awards for health and safety and all of our teams are dedicated to meeting this exceptional standard.
Our competitive salary package includes an excellent contributory pension, a minimum of 24 days holiday per year increasing to a maximum of 28 days depending on grade and length of service and a wider benefits scheme. This includes an annual pay review, season ticket loans, voucher scheme giving you money off in major retail outlets, loyalty awards for continuous service plus much more, including our refer-a-friend bonus, where you can receive up to £1,000 for helping someone get a permanent position within the company.
We’re also proud to be here for our local community, offering all of our teams two days paid volunteer leave a year, as well as proudly supporting a lot of local events and charities.
Thames Water is the UK’s largest water and wastewater company. We make a daily difference to millions of customers by suppling 2.7 billion litres of world-class water to around 10 million homes.
As our world changes, the need to take care of our most precious resource is greater than ever, both locally and globally. That’s why, at Thames Water, every one of our actions, big and small, matters every day. Water is essential to daily life, and that means our business is always open. We’re passionate about providing world-class tap water, now and for the future.
We’re also turning poo into power, self-generating 20% of the energy we use and, in turn, doing our bit for the planet. We’re reducing plastic waste by celebrating our tap water and rolling out an ambitious water fountain project. We’re using our voice to lobby for change and partnering with WaterAid to provide clean water to the world’s poorest communities.
Together, we’re building a better future for our customers, our region and our planet.
Thames Water is a unique, rewarding and diverse place to work. If you join our team, you’ll enjoy fast-tracked career opportunities, flexible working arrangements and unparalleled benefits. We’re also proud to be an equal opportunity employer, Stonewall Diversity Champion and Disability Confident Leader, welcoming individuals from all walks of life and leading the way with an award-winning mental health and wellbeing strategy.