We are currently within the tax team based at Salford Quays offices. We are looking for an Indirect Tax Specialist to cover maternity leave on a 14 months FTC.
You will be responsible for executing the timely and accurate production (and submission) of a range of tax returns and payments, including: UK and ROI VAT; Intrastat and EC sales lists; CIS and RCT. You will be responsible for identifying improvements to the compliance process and work with third parties to automate the compilation and submission of returns. You will be responsible for undertaking VAT and associated indirect tax queries from across the business and other operational functions, as well supporting the Head of Indirect Tax, and Tax Director, with on-going projects and ad-hoc queries.Main responsibilities
- Preparation of UK VAT, ROI VAT, Intrastat, EC sales, CIS, RCT and annual 46G returns
- Ensure timely payment and submission of all returns.
- Work with 3rd parties to increase automation of the compliance process and returns.
- Preparation of other returns / reporting requirements, e.g. Carrier bag levy, Alcohol Wholesaler scheme
- Liaison with other departments, such as AP, to resolve errors / queries in relation to the returns above.
- Maintaining up to date indirect tax process notes and indirect tax returns and payments calendar.
- Delivery of PLC and CLC adherence day to day
- Working with the Head of Indirect Tax to update annual VAT SAO documentation and testing programme.
- Undertaking and managing SAP user acceptance testing (bi-annual), and SAP UAT in relation to ad-hoc projects.
- Responsible for liaising with Treasury to provide up to date tax payment forecasts.
- Responsible for running and reconciling VAT balance sheet accounts, for discussion and review with the Head of Indirect Tax.
- Deal with HMRC correspondence from HMRC on a timely basis, update correspondence log and action and escalate appropriately.
- Keep up to date with VAT and wider Indirect tax technical developments for CPD and for assessment of changes in legislation on Sodexo’s business.
- Review processes on an on-going basis with the Head of Indirect Tax to identify efficiencies and improvements.
- Independent analysis and research into indirect tax queries raised by the business, for review and discussion with the Head of Indirect Tax
- Support to Head of Indirect Tax, and Tax Director, in relation to on-going queries / ad-hoc projects
- Indirect tax Experience
- CiOT qualified (indirect route)
- Big 4public accounting firm training
- Excellent and up to date technical knowledge
- Advanced Microsoft, SAP, HFM and general systems proficiency
- Balance multiple projects, managing multiple demands
- Continuous improvement in tax compliance procedures
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills and the confidence to deal with people at different levels throughout the UK & ROI business
- Flexible, adaptable, proactive
- Bachelor’s degree in relevant subject, 2:1 minimum
- Experience and technical knowledge of VAT in retail, and in outsourcing in the healthcare and education sectors
- Knowledge of VAT return software
- Able to demonstrate practical process and system knowledge.
- UK CIS / Irish RCT knowledge
About the company
In the UK and Ireland, Sodexo employs some 35,000 employees to deliver integrated facilities management services to clients at over 2,000 locations in the corporate, healthcare, education, leisure, defence and justice sectors. With an annual turnover of over £1bn, we provide everything from catering, cleaning and reception to security, laboratory and grounds maintenance services, enabling our clients to focus on their core business.
Sodexo and our clients are committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and adults within a regulated activity. Certain roles will require applicants to undergo screening appropriate to the post, including checks with past employers and the Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) and/ or Disclosure Scotland.