Magdalen College invites applications from suitably qualified candidates for the permanent position of Home Bursar of Magdalen College, with effect from 1 September 2021 or as soon as possible thereafter (a start date earlier than 1 September 2021 can also be agreed).
The person appointed will play a key role in the life of the College and will be responsible for the following areas of activity: Facilities and Services Management, Leadership and Staff Management, Legislative Compliance, and related aspects of Finance and Administration. The Home Bursar will work closely with the President, Bursar, other College Officers, Fellows, staff, and students to ensure that the College’s operational activities achieve its strategic aims, with both sensitivity towards the ethos of a high-achieving academic community and regard to compliance with legislation and best practice.
Applicants should be educated to degree level or equivalent through experience or professional qualifications. The following skills and experience will be necessary for appointment to this post:
- A proven track record of effective management in a context covering the provision of food and accommodation.
- A proven ability to manage budgets and control costs.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, and the ability to engage effectively with academic and non-academic staff and with students.
- The ability to work collaboratively with a wide range of people, both inside and outside the College, and to handle sensitive matters with professionalism and discretion.
- Excellent leadership and strategic thinking skills.
- Excellent knowledge of current legislation in the relevant areas.
- A high degree of numeracy and IT skills.
- Commitment to the aims and ethos of an institution of Higher Education, and to working collegially to achieve common goals.
- Commitment to equality, diversity and inclusivity in the working environment.
The successful candidate will receive a salary in the indicative range £66,000 to £76,000 p.a. and will be entitled to accommodation in College free of charge, or, if not residing in College, to a taxable and pensionable housing allowance (currently £15,000 per annum). The College also offers a Housing Loan Scheme to assist in house purchase. The postholder will be entitled to the Common College dinner and luncheon free of cost, and to Fellows’ allowances, including an allowance of £1,400 for computer equipment in the first year of employment, and £500 per year thereafter.
Full details of the post and the application process are set out in the further particulars available at www.magd.ox.ac.uk/job-vacancies/. The closing date for the receipt of applications is 12.00 noon GMT on Friday 7 May 2021. It is the responsibility of each applicant to ensure that the application arrives by the deadline.
Applications are particularly welcome from women and from Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic candidates, who are under-represented in senior posts in Oxford.
Magdalen College is an Equal Opportunities Employer.