Head of Data Science
- Job Reference: 00040210-1
- Date Posted: 23 February 2021
- Recruiter: CV-Library
- Location: United Kingdom
- Salary: On Application
- Sector: Accounting, Banking & Financial Services, Insurance & Superannuation, Covid-19
- Job Type: Permanent
We are delighted to offer a unique and exciting opportunity to join a dynamic, innovative and fast-growing company within Financial Services. If you enjoy working in a vibrant organisation which embraces data science and are truly customer-focussed but want something different than the usual Banking environment, then this is an opportunity for you. Our client is a fintech consumer lender who are well established (over 5 years old and already lent £200m+) and heading for huge growth over the coming years following significant investment. They have big plans to disrupt and become the dominant force in UK consumer credit using a data-led approach to everything we do.
The purpose of this role is to take the lead in creating a centralised Data Science divisional team which includes growing the existing team to a team of 6+ data scientists and data analysts. This role heads up the Data Science team at a senior leadership level so you will be the most senior member.
As Head of Data Science your mission will be to define the direction, structure and processes for Data Science, so that every business area can fully benefit. Part of their strategy is to automate every function in the business, so that they can transact significantly higher volume with a much smaller team; they intend to reach almost £1bn a year of lending with only ~120 people in the team.
They are building a team of mathematicians and engineers rather than a team of administrators and operators. And you will lead this exciting strand of their strategy. They operate a cross-functional team structure and their vision is to have data science embedded in projects across all areas of the business such as credit risk; fraud prevention and AML; pricing; product design; growth; customer experience, etc.
Skills and experience
* PhD or Masters Degree in a relevant field
* Excellent Data Science experience in a financial services / regulated environment, ideally consumer finance
* Experience building and leading a data science team within a scaling company
* Excellent knowledge of data science tools; predictive modelling and statistical analysis
* Excellent communication and collaboration skills to work with other senior stakeholders in the business to set out the strategy and make key business decisions.
What do they offer?
* Competitive salary and bonus / share scheme
* A friendly and vibrant working culture and people who are always keen to help each other
* Generous pension scheme, life and health insurance and a range of other employee benefits
* Great opportunity to work with one of the rising stars in FinTech
* Ability to work from home when needed (COVID-19: they are permanently working from home for the foreseeable future)