We are looking for a talented, driven, and enthusiastic hardware intern with an interest in skiing to assist across the business during the 2020/21 ski season.
About Carv and Motion Metrics
At MotionMetrics, we create digital sports coaching experiences. Our first product is Carv, a digital skiing coach that blends hardware, software and real-time audio instruction to coach people how to ski better - a world first across sports.
We’ve shipped 12,000 units to date and are doubling production every year to keep up with demand. This is an outstanding opportunity to work in a fast growing VC backed sports technology start-up in London, alongside a fantastic team of hardware and software engineers, marketing and customer service experts who are all passionate about changing the paradigm of coaching.
About the role
We are looking for a hardware intern to help in a variety of roles across the business. This role is perfect for someone who is technically talented, but who also wants to experience the many different parts of a startup and to travel and work abroad. We expect the internship to be approximately divided as follows:
- Shenzhen (1-2 months): you will experience the vibrant ecosystem of “the electronics capital of the world” as you work alongside other startups in HAX, the world’s most prolific hardware program. With the wider hardware team, you will be working with contract manufacturers to ensure the successful shipment of Carv for Christmas. See more about what it’s like working out there from our VP Engineering during this Bloomberg interview: https://bit.ly/2R7Ye27
- London (1-2 months): working in our London office a short distance from Brixton station, you will be using the test equipment in our HQ to the in-depth testing and characterisation of the new generation of Carv sensors, with support from the wider hardware team. This is where you’ll find the software and marketing teams when they’re not ski testing, so you will have the opportunity to get some insight into the other areas of the business.
- Innsbruck (2-3 months): The “heart of the Alps”, Innsbruck is a vibrant and well-connected university town with ski resorts all over the local area - the perfect mountain base. Primary responsibilities will be ski testing the product and acting as the technical lead within the customer service team, debugging both customer issues and warranty requests. There is also the opportunity to aid in the mechanical or electrical development of the next generation of Carv hardware at this stage.
Your main responsibilities:
- Helping ensure our factories adhere to our quality control procedures.
- Identifying and diagnosing issues that arise during production, and working with our factories to resolve them.
- Becoming a Solidworks witch/wizard and then using it to design and build various test fixtures for the Carv product.
- Running in-depth characterisation tests on the new Carv units (that you helped to manufacture) to help us continue to improve the product.
- Ski testing and debugging new prototypes in Innsbruck.
- Working with the customer service team to deliver the best experience to the customer.
Our candidate is someone who:
- Has a Mechanical or Electrical Engineering (or similar) undergraduate degree with 1st or Upper 2nd class results, or proven knowledge and experience in a similar role.
- Combines analysis skills and attention to detail with a natural engineering intuition.
- Can operate autonomously and is highly self-motivated to learn and solve problems.
- Has a passion for product development. You are enthusiastic, hardworking and proud of your work.
- Has great communication skills and a real empathy for customers and colleagues.
Nice to have:
- Experience designing and building mechanical prototypes using CAD software such as Solidworks.
- General workshop skills and knowledge in proper use of hand tools, machine tools etc.
- Experience evaluating ICs and designing and testing PCBs with associated firmware development
Pay / Benefits
- UK National Living Wage
- Subsidised accommodation in the company flat in Innsbruck
- Innsbruck ski pass, giving you access to all local resorts for the duration of the season
- Travel between Innsbruck and London
7 months from September 2020 to March 2021
Please send a CV and short covering email to email@example.com.