General Manager – B2B Distribution
- Job Reference: 00073032-1
- Date Posted: 12 May 2022
- Recruiter: CV-Library
- Location: Leeds
- Salary: £60,000 to £65,000
- Sector: Retail & Consumer Products
- Job Type: Permanent
Salary – depending on experience + profit related bonus (earn up to 100% of salary through exceptional performance) + benefits
This is an excellent opportunity to join a well-established specialist B2B distribution business and help grow a key branch in Leeds – where there is huge growth potential across the multiple markets they serve. The business is part of a family-owned multi-sector multi $bn global independent group with a fantastic track record of growth and acquisition. They are long term investors who trust their business managers to run their businesses as if they were their own. Because of the nature of some of their products they were able to grow significantly during the Covid-19 pandemic. This will continue to a degree post pandemic.
Trading from a large site in a good location they have a great reputation for customer service, a modern fleet of vehicles and a committed and experienced team.
With the right leader this business could expand considerably, adding new product categories and services. There will be freedom to trade in an autonomous environment with no bureaucracy and the support of experienced senior leadership (if required!).
Potential candidates should have:
* A successful track record of profitably running and growing an B2B distribution business as Branch Manager/Branch Director/Profit Centre Manager/General Manager. Specific product and industry knowledge is not required. They supply into multiple sectors such as construction, retail, medical, engineering – and many others. You could have worked in retail, wholesale, trade merchanting or other B2B distribution environment
* Can successfully operate in such an environment without the support structures of a larger corporate and can cope with the pressure of needing to achieve results
* A proactive, inquisitive, common-sense approach
* Strong, positive communication skills. Able to have difficult conversations when required
* Willingness to roll sleeves up and always looking for opportunities to improve the business
* To be customer facing and enjoy doing this. Knowledge of the local customer base is an advantage, but not a prerequisite
* Fit in with and positively develop the culture within the organisation, ensuring respect for all within the business
* A self-starter and can operate at pace, making decisions in a confident manner – no procrastination here please!
* Energetic and creative, resilient, and tenacious. Willing to embrace the challenge
* Can deliver the right level of information up and down the structure as required
* Leadership of the highest calibre: inspire, lead, motivate, engage with people throughout the business
* Commercially and financially aware
* You will own the P&L and be responsible for creating and delivering the strategy to achieve this.
* Strong procurement and negotiation skills and experience – you can buy from existing suppliers or new ones, introducing new products as you see fit – there are no restrictions!
* You must live within a reasonably commuting distance of Leeds – or be prepared to relocate within a reasonable time frame. There will be some travel locally within the role. The nature of the business and this role means that this isn’t really a Work From Home role or environment.
* Increase turnover in a profitable manner – there is the potential to grow the branch turnover to in excess of 10m+ in the coming years!
* Improve customer service. Give customers a reason to use the business
* Improve engagement throughout the team and create a positive, winning culture
* Develop potential successors, with a view to future career progression
* Identify opportunities for investment
* Identify opportunities for growth in associated product/service areas – how can the business add value in a competitive sector
* Fully utilise the facilities/capabilities of the branch
* Naturally ensure the branch is trading legally with health and safety paramount at all times
* Identify opportunities for growth – both within existing customers and markets and new ones!
The future is very bright for this business. Come and be a part of it. Be your own boss and create a winning environment where you – and the team – will be rewarded handsomely for it