Full Time Support Worker - Bury St Edmunds - HR
- Job Reference: 00072731-1
- Date Posted: 7 May 2022
- Recruiter: CV-Library
- Location: Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk
- Salary: £9.70 Per Hour
- Sector: Healthcare & Medical
- Job Type: Permanent
Are you looking for a job which has flexibility and fun? Would you like to support people to live normal, happy, and independent lives in their own homes? If the answer is YES, we have an excellent opportunity for Support Workers in and around Bury St Edmunds.
We have a permanent full time role available due to an increase in support packages. You will be required to work across our supported living services based in Bury St Edmunds. Shifts are spread over seven days. There is a sleep-in requirement at this Service (usually one per week) which attracts an additional payment. Flexibility is a must as you will need to be available to work across various shifts between the hours of 07:00 to 22:00.
If you are a driver and have you own transport it would be a bonus but not essential. It is important that you have a good sense of humour and are fun, enjoy participating in activities and be respectful to individual needs.
The people you will be supporting need help to access the community, learn everyday living skills, organise their medication and look after their finances.
So, if you want to spend your days having fun with amazing people…then we have just the job for you! No two days are ever the same.
What does a Support Worker do?
As a Support Worker you will be expected to provide an outstanding level of support that will help to ensure the people we support live a more comfortable, dignified, liberated and happy life. You will have excellent communication skills and be a naturally caring and patient personality. Typical responsibilities may include:
* Supporting people to live independently – budget management, paying bills, housework, organising appointments and cooking delicious healthy meals.
* Relationship building – supporting the people we support to understand the world around them and promoting positive relationships.
* Community & Social Inclusion - supporting individuals to access and participate in their local community and social events to promote life skills and individuality.
* Personal care - helping people to get ready for the day. This may include prompting the people we support to take their medication and assisting with bathing, showering and using the bathroom. Not all Support Worker roles include high levels of personal care.
Have you thought about working for Mencap?
Mencap is a leader in providing excellent support to people with a learning disability. Our vision is a world where people with a learning disability are valued equally, listened to and included.
Everyone wants a purposeful job - to do something really meaningful. Everything we do at Mencap keeps the people we support at the centre of what we do.
With us, it’s never ‘just a job’. In return for your hard work and passion you can find real and meaningful work experience, access to some excellent benefits alongside our competitive pay.
We are proud to be a Disability Confident Leader and welcome applicants with disabilities to apply for all roles with us. To find out more about the scheme please visit We are proud to be a Disability Confident Leader and welcome applicants with disabilities to apply for all roles with us. To find out more about the scheme please visit the directgov website.
At Mencap, we value a diverse and inclusive workplace and we intentionally plan for the success of our colleagues in everything we do. We welcome applications from everyone, so come as you are and join us. Together we are Mencap!
Mencap are strongly encouraging all our colleagues to have the Covid-19 vaccine as a way to help protect each other and the people we support.
No two days will ever be the same – some will be challenging, and some will be a breeze – but they will ALL be rewarding! If you have any questions, or would like more information, please feel free to call the Service Manager, Sam on (phone number removed).
*All roles are subject to an enhanced DBS check and suitable references.
Job ID: 24577
As well as knowing that what we do is making a positive difference to people’s lives, you will receive fair pay and have access to a wide range of rewards and benefits as one of our employees.
* 22 days holiday plus bank holidays increasing to 24 days with effect from April 2023
* Annual leave increases with long service up to 27 days per year plus the ability to buy up to another 10 days via our HolidayPlus scheme
* Service related sick pay when 6 month probation is completed
* Pension contributions into NEST Scheme on a salary sacrifice basis meaning NI savings
* Death in service life cover for a nominated beneficiary under our life assurance scheme
* Loans for debt consolidation, bikes, computers and phones when you have been with us for 6 months
* Interest free season ticket loans
* Discounts and cashback from 3% to 30% at high street shops including major supermarkets, cinemas, gyms, leisure/theme parks, holidays and much more via Mencap Extras
* Opportunity to purchase a health cash plan to claim towards dental, glasses, therapy etc.
* Free access to round the clock employee assistance program for advice and support
* Quarterly award scheme and recognition at every 5 years through our YouRock program
* Access to award winning training and development
*T&C's apply based on contract