|Job Title:||Finance Manager|
|Salary:||£60000 - £65000 per annum|
|Contact Name:||Robyn Smith|
|Job Published:||September 16, 2019 16:07|
Reporting to the Head of Finance, Water Networks, the Finance Manager will assume a hands-on role with responsibility for the day-to-day financial management and business partnering for the Repair & Maintenance (“R&M”) business unit within Water Networks. This role will cover all three regions (North London, South London and Thames Valley).
The candidate will be a highly driven, self-motivated and organised individual, capable of managing a diverse range of financial workstreams, business partnering the Heads of all three regions and line managing the respective management accountants. This will include working alongside them in a variety of supporting functions including driving performance, decision support, challenging third party spend, managing budgets and delivering efficiency targets.
The candidate will be able to demonstrate strategic and commercial thinking and core analytical skills, alongside an effective communication style which helps to challenge and influence decision making.
The R&M business delivers c£200m p.a. totex spend – largely through our partners the Infrastructure Alliance (“IA”) – to ensure clean drinking water is safely, reliably and efficiently delivered from water production assets to the customer. R&M covers an extensive value chain from leak detection to planning & scheduling, repair and reinstatement. This business unit is responsible for the majority of Thames Water’s annual leakage repair activity.
To be successful you will have the following skills and experience:
- Delivering a best-in-class finance business partnering service to the Heads of Regions and their wider teams, helping them understand their finances and supporting, influencing and challenging their decision making.
- Overseeing all transactional activities including monthly management accounts, efficiency reporting, R&O updates and regional reforecasts, and semi-annual statutory and regulatory accounts, ensuring compliance with relevant governance and methodology.
- Leading discussions on financial performance and outlook with the three regional leadership teams, their key external stakeholders (including IA representatives), Head of Finance and Head of Water Networks.
- Managing FP&A processes for R&M and generation of outputs tailored for different audiences, including local business plans, and supporting the Head of Finance with longer term financial planning processes.
- Working in partnership with the leadership teams, external stakeholders and Head of Finance to help deliver in-year efficiency targets and identify opportunities to reduce ‘wastage’ in the medium term.
- Helping generate business cases for proposed spend for assessment with the Head of Finance and Head of Water Networks.
- Driving value through process challenge and design ensuring accuracy for financial and, where relevant, non-financial information.
- Maintaining and continuously improving robustness of financial systems and processes.
- Line managing a team of three senior management accountants.
- Strong finance business partnering skills, based on the combination of the below, capable of providing high support and high challenge to key stakeholders.
- Highly driven, self-motivated and organised – able to proactively set the agenda as well as delivering a remit.
- Strong proficiency and curiosity in working with complex financial, operational and commercial data to understand performance.
- Able to demonstrate strategic and commercial thinking to generate powerful questions and new ideas.
- Advanced communication skills – can communicate effectively with a variety of audiences including turning financial information into narratives for operational staff and senior management.
- Line management skills with visible and empathic leadership capabilities, including performance management and people development.
- Proficient IS skills, including SAP and Excel, will be strong advantage.
- This person is ideally a qualified accountant with management accounting experience.
- Experience of the utility sector will also aid transition into the role.
- Travel within the regions will be required as this is a business facing role.
This is a business-facing role working with senior stakeholders in Operations, Finance and IA partners and provides the opportunity to lead the finance agenda for this business area, which is a high-profile and critical part of the wider business. The area is complex with a high level of responsibility, but you will have autonomy to make the role your own. There will be potential for you to develop into a Senior Management role, including the Head of Finance for this or other operational divisions.
Our competitive salary and package include a competitive bonus, car allowance, private healthcare and an excellent contributory pension and holiday scheme and a wider benefits scheme which includes an annual pay review, season ticket loans and loyalty awards for continuous service plus discounts at a wide range of retailers via Benefits on Taps.
We’re also proud to be here for our local community around Reading, offering all of our teams two days paid volunteer leave a year, as well as proudly supporting a lot of local events and charities
Thames Water is the UK’s largest water and wastewater company. We make a daily difference to millions of customers by supplying 2.7 billion litres of world-class water to around 10 million homes.
As our world changes, the need to take care of our most precious resource is greater than ever, both locally and globally. That’s why, at Thames Water, every one of our actions, big and small, matters every day. Water is essential to daily life, and that means our business is always open. We’re passionate about providing world-class tap water, now and for the future.
We’re also turning poo into power, self-generating 20% of the energy we use and, in turn, doing our bit for the planet. We’re reducing plastic waste by celebrating our tap water and rolling out an ambitious water fountain project. We’re using our voice to lobby for change and partnering with WaterAid to provide clean water to the world’s poorest communities.
Together, we’re building a better future for our customers, our region and our planet.
Thames Water is a unique, rewarding and diverse place to work. If you join our team, you’ll enjoy fast-tracked career opportunities, flexible working arrangements and unparalleled benefits. We’re also proud to be an equal opportunity employer, Stonewall Diversity Champion and Disability Confident Leader, welcoming individuals from all walks of life and leading the way with an award-winning mental health and wellbeing strategy.
Get similar jobs like these by email
By submitting your details you agree to our T&C's
£35000 - £40000 per annum
£55000 - £70000 per annum
£12 - £15 per hour
£48000 - £72000 per annum, Benefits: car allowance, private healthcare, bonus
£28000 - £32029 per annum