Environmental Trials Engineer
- Job Reference: 00006928-1
- Date Posted: 15 May 2020
- Location: United Kingdom
- Salary: On Application
QinetiQ comprises teams of dedicated people; experts in defence, aerospace, security and related markets. We draw on our extensive technical knowledge and intellectual property to provide the know-how and support to solve some of the world’s most challenging problems. Our people make the critical difference to customers by providing unique approaches to problem solving. Why don’t you join some of the world’s finest scientific and technical minds and help us make tomorrow work today?
This is an exciting opportunity to join a high performing team of multi-disciplinary engineers delivering critical test & evaluation of defence munitions through the application of vibration, shock, climatic & radiography test programs.
You will be an integral part of the team at the Environmental Test Centre at MOD Shoeburyness.
You will work alongside with the Trials Team Leaders, and help them supervise, develop, and deliver complex testing of high value assets. Assessing asset performance within the demanding environments that the systems will be subjected to throughout their operational life, simulating some of the most challenging environments in the world to ensure that the systems are ultimately safe and suitable for service.
This will be done at the Environmental Test Centre (ETC) in Shoeburyness. ETC is an expanding area of QinetiQ and a world class test facility. The facility is accredited by UKAS against BS EN ISO/IEC 17025:2005 and consequently seeks to maintain and improve its technical competences. The company maintains accreditation against ISO 9001, 14001, 18001 and 50001.
The successful candidate will have the relevant knowledge and experience to conduct the environmental test program requirements against the customer specifications and UKAS quality manual. They will:
• Supporting the Trials Team Leads in the management and development of the capability in the Environmental Test Centre as required;
• Work with the team to design trials in accordance with customer requirements;
• Act as a technical point of contact to the planning office, providing solutions to complex customer requirements to ensure delivery of test programs against contracted milestones;
• Author working procedures, ensuring compliance with all safety legislation associated with the activities and take responsibilities to ensure adherence by team members;
• Actively seek out and capitalise on opportunities for continued improvement in the operations at ETC;
• Ensure safe systems of work are maintained at all times during environmental testing;
• Take responsibility for adherence to working procedures, ensuring compliance with all safety legislation associated with activities;
• Undertake tasks associated with conducting environmental testing of test assets, and supporting activities;
• Define and lead set-ups and conduct environmental test programs in accordance with the customer specifications;
• Review documentation, process data and report and conduct quality checks on work produced against customer specifications and QinetiQ’s standards before issue;
• Develop and deliver internal training programmes and provide supervision to develop other team members as required.
• Drive and determination to achieve goals and progress your experience and knowledge to develop your career.
• You must be able to work well as part of a team.
• Be flexible and adaptable to the many and varied challenges faced by this role.
• Good understanding of Quality Assurance, standards, and internal auditing.
• Ability to effectively communicate with people at all levels, both internal and external to QinetiQ, including customers, suppliers and other stakeholders.
• Strong diplomacy and negotiation skills to influence internal and external stakeholders.
• Results-focussed and high levels of responsibility and accountability.
• Methodical and Logical approach, conscientious.
• High level of IT competence.
• Must have driver’s license and own car.
• Subject to Security Clearances.
We pride ourselves on hosting a safe, enjoyable workplace, where people are happy about coming to work. We would expect the successful candidate to display the following behavioural qualities:
• Safety conscious in all activities;
• Active and engaging team member;
• Committed to achievement;
• Excellent communication skills;
• Proactive and self-motivated;
• Flexible in delivering additional volumes and working hours;
• You must be able to work well as part of a team and under your own initiative;
• Be flexible and adaptable to the many and varied challenges faced by this role;
• Have the potential to develop into a subject matter expert in environmental testing.
Experience & Qualifications
• Professional development in a technical or engineering subject; A degree in Science or Engineering, or an equivalent nationally recognised professional qualification is highly desirable;
• Has held a position of technical responsibility;
• A tangible track record of achievement demonstrating technical experience and innovation;
• Ability to encourage collaboration between team members and activities.
• Chartered Engineering Status;
• Knowledge of environmental engineering within the defence industry;
• Working knowledge of the Defence Standard, specifically 00-35.
#LI – QQ #QQ