- Job Reference: 00096334-1
- Date Posted: 21 November 2022
- Recruiter: CV-Library
- Location: United Kingdom
- Salary: £380 to £400 Per Hour
- Sector: Healthcare & Medical, Science & Technology
- Job Type: Contract
4 months Contract - £400 p/day, Inside IR35, Fully Remote
A programme within the organisation was established in 2020 to deliver Covid-19 Wastewater Monitoring. The National Surveillance programme routinely analysed wastewater from over 500 locations across England for the presence of SARS-CoV-2 and its variants. It now works on commercial wastewater projects across the country and the world focusing on SARS-CoV-2 and other pathogens in a range of settings.
As a Senior Environmental Scientist, you will be responsible for supporting the operational delivery of activity across the operating value chain. You will help to maintain the in-house consultancy function, particularly focussed on driving forward continuous improvement.
* Design and delivery of technical reviews of operational activity, e.g, wastewater sample collection and laboratory methods, to drive continuous improvement.
* Act as technical point of contact for delivery partners across government and academia.
* Provide scientific support to product owners.
* Support business development activities for consultancy, guidance, and certification services.
* Strong management skills with ability to define and shape an area of work, translating strategic priorities into clear outcome-focused documents.
* Overseeing continuous improvement of lab methods and analysis.
Skills and Experience:
You will have a background in environmental science or engineering and must have experience/expertise in water, wastewater sampling/analysis/interpretation (other environmental experience e.g., contaminated land, may be considered if you have run projects as an environmental consultant/engineer rather than as a side task in a civils/transport engineer project), and-or molecular microbiology/virology.
Specific requirements include:
* PhD (or equiv. experience) in environmental engineering / science, wastewater, microbiology, virology, epidemiology, or genetics.
* Experience working in a fast-paced, operational scientific environment.
* Experience in analysis and interpretation of complex data, ideally environmental e.g., wastewater, contaminated land etc., and / or molecular data e.g., qPCR, amplicon sequencing.
* Experience designing and delivering research projects, including field studies, sampling strategies, ideally wastewater (water, environmental science) based.
* Ability to engage non-scientists effectively in research / science goals and results.
* Ability to create and populate project documents from design to submission.
* Ability to work to short deadlines where required.
* MS Office (essential), GIS (essential), coding (one of R, Python etc.).
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity in our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status