Here at esure, we're no strangers to change. As one of the industry leaders in the insurance business, striving to become a world class digital insurer, we're getting ready for more. It's creating great new opportunities for innovative and talented industry professionals to join us at a pivotal point in our development.
esure Group are currently recruiting for a Data Scientist to join our highly passionate and forward-thinking team. We encourage learning and development and look for our people to bring forward ideas to support in esure Group's journey to becoming a world class digital Insurer.
At esure Group we are building an outstanding environment for long-term ambitious research to flourish in. We are harnessing data science approaches to build end-to-end solutions which will help our business drive further value from data and create personalised experiences for our customers. We apply state of the art machine learning techniques to solve a variety of problems such as customer risk, lifetime value and retail pricing across diverse product portfolios. Many Data Science projects are at greenfield stage with the chance to have significant impact on the P&L. The team is central to our growth strategy with great support from senior Stakeholders who are keen to drive a 'start-up mentality' for this function.
What you'll do:
- Apply statistical and advanced analytical techniques to optimise and improve business performance for specific business problems and use cases
- Build and maintain the algorithms required to drive value for customers. Research and development to continuously improve our services and products
- Provide regular support on data science projects - both large and small - that drives business benefit and gives us a competitive advantage
- Deliver high quality actionable data science by performing ad hoc analysis to predict, measure and interpret business trends.
- Actively seek out new sources of data to use in all aspects of Pricing, making esure best in class in utilising the most expansive data sets available
- Work closely with DevOps and Data Engineers to productionise and deploy machine learning models
- Produce high-quality code that allows us to put solutions into production
- Refactor code into reusable libraries, APIs, and tools
What we are looking for:
- Proven experience working as a Data Scientist in a commercial or R&D setting
- Significant experience supporting a business's data science capability,
- Comprehensive proficiency with R/Python toolkits, preferably working with data pipelines
- Proficient with SQL and NoSQL databases
- Experience with Jupyter Notebooks and version control (eg. Git)
- Expert in mining large and complex data sets - both structured and unstructured extraction of data, transformation and application
- Experience working in a project environment, including delivering to tight deadlines
- Able to work independently and take personal responsibility for delivery of agreed work
- Experience working within cross-functional teams (Data Science/Analytical) across multiple databases.
- Experience with Spark/Databricks is desirable
- Experience deploying ML at scale via APIs (eg. Flask, Keras) advantageous
- Start-up experience and working with geospatial & financial data is a bonus
What we will offer to you in return:
- 25 days holiday plus bank holidays
- 25% discount on esure & Sheila's Wheels insurance (10% for immediate family) or a guarantee to beat any other insurer's renewal quote on both home and car insurance
- 15% Discount on esure and Sheila's Wheels Travel Insurance (7.5% for immediate family)
- Discretionary bonus
- BUPA - Private medical cover for eligible colleagues
- Flu Jabs and Eye Care - Free flu jabs every winter, free eye tests every two years and £50 towards VDU glasses
In light of the current Covid-19 pandemic, we want to emphasise to all applicants that the safety and wellbeing of our candidates and colleagues is esure Group's number one priority. All interviews will be conducted remotely via a video conference platform to ensure that everyone involved is adhering to the social distancing guidance.