Customs Clearance Clerk
- Job Reference: 00033962-1
- Date Posted: 20 February 2021
- Recruiter: CV-Library
- Location: Bristol
- Salary: £22,000 to £25,000
- Sector: Transport & Logistics, Covid-19
- Job Type: Permanent
Simarco Worldwide Logistics is a family owned, award-winning distribution company providing a range of collection and delivery services throughout mainland UK. Established in 1997, we operate a large, wholly owned fleet of vehicles providing nationwide and local distribution.
We currently have a vacancy for a Customs Clearance Clerk based in our Bristol office. This is a permanent, full-time role.
Working as a Customs Clearance Clerk involves the preparation of Customs documentation so that commodities can enter or exit one country to another, whilst ensuring all legal requirements are met in accordance with HMRC regulations.
Main duties of the role:
* Signing of documents under a Power of Attorney on behalf of clients
* Recognise client commercial invoice(s) and packing list(s) extracting data as necessary to complete export declarations
* Liaising with exporters and internal operational colleagues to obtain mandatory information for export entries
* Aiding clients on the classification of goods and their importance
* Entering details onto specialised Customs software including CHIEF, CNS, Destin8, NCTS, NES etc
* Allocating the correct licences depending on type of goods being exported
* Application of duty refunds and tariff reclassification as appropriate and will assist with any appeals that may arise
* Be fully conversant with export Customs regulations, whilst keeping up to date with changes as they occur
* Inform customers on export restrictions, tariff systems, insurance requirements and all other Customs related matters
* Preparation of necessary export documentation, including T-documents, EUR1’s, Certificates of Origin (CofO), CVED and other cargo control documents, as well as discharge process of T-documents etc
* Liaise with Port Health or Customs officials in areas such as document checks, goods quarantine etc.
* Arrange the release of goods from Simarco Customs approved sites (ETSF locations) and/or port of arrival with liaison with internal colleagues on release, transport & warehousing issues
* Any duties/tasks as requested by your Line Manager or a Director.
Experience / Skills required:
* Previous experience working in a similar role is advantageous
* Ideally have an understanding of Customs requirements
* Strong communication skills are vital in this role both written and verbally, as you will be required to compile documentation and be able to interpret the legal requirements on behalf of customers in a clear and simple way
* Excellent interpersonal skills due to engagement with various agencies on a daily basis
* Complex problem solving and the ability to engage critical thinking skills will be required as well as the ability to actively listen and interpret concisely
* Although you will work as part of a team, you need to be self-motivating and be able to organise your work effectively and maintain records.
* Ability to operate windows-based applications and any other software that is standard within the industry
* Work in a fast-paced environment ensuring export clearance processes are completed in a complaint and timely manner avoiding goods departure delays
* Excellent numerical skills are essential
Monday to Friday, 37.5 hour per week between 9 a.m. – 5.30 p.m. (this includes a one hour meal break which is unpaid)
Salary and Benefits details:
* Salary up to £25k depending on experience
* 30 days annual holiday, including Bank Holidays
* Contributory Pension Scheme
* Employee Assistance programme
* Cycle to work scheme
**No Agencies please**
To keep our staff safe from COVID-19 we are following all Government guidelines, have implemented new Covid Policies and special safety measures, including increased and enhanced hygiene regime