- Job Reference: 00023772-1
- Date Posted: 18 October 2020
- Recruiter: CV-Library
- Location: United Kingdom
- Salary: £37,395 to £42,849
- Sector: Community & Sport, Covid-19
- Job Type: Permanent
As the leading mental health charity in England and Wales, our Mission is to transform the lives of people who experience mental distress. Our network of over 150 shops has an annual turnover exceeding £15 million. With over 400 staff and over 2000 dedicated volunteers supporting our shops. Our people are determined to support the Mind cause, to work with us in achieving our plans to expand our footprint on the high street despite the challenging Covid pandemic.
An exciting opportunity has arisen to join our team in ensuring our retail presence on the High Street has a strong, consistent brand profile and is legally compliant. The post holder will be responsible for a positive safety culture with Mind and Mind retail ensuring we meet our legal requirements in terms of health, safety and compliance. The responsibilities will also include providing competent support to senior managers whilst working collaboratively with internal and external stakeholders.
Please view our job description for full details of the responsibilities and specification. If you have ‘can do’ attitude, excellent communication skills and knowledge of the legal compliance requirements within retail, we would love to hear from you.
To be considered for this role, please forward an up to date CV and a covering letter outlining your suitability for the role stating the job title in the subject box.
Job Title: Compliance Manager (Health and Safety)
Reporting to: Head of Property
Located at: Field based with travel across England and Wales
Purpose of job
To promote, develop and establish a positive safety culture within Mind and Mind Retail so that it can meet its legal requirements in terms of Health, Safety and Compliance.
To take responsibility for both Strategic and Operational matters relating to Health and Safety Planning and Management within Mind Retail.
To provide competent support and training to Mind, Mind Retail staff and senior managers on Compliance and Health and Safety Matters.
The post holder will report to the Head of Property and will be the primary point of contact with Mind’s Health and Safety forum, in relation to Health & Safety and Compliance matters.
You will work collaboratively with staff across Mind Retail and with other internal and external stakeholders.
* Maintain an up to date knowledge of relevant health and safety legislation and best practice. Provide updates on a monthly basis on all new or amended Health and Safety legislation associated with facilities related issues to all staff within Mind Retail as appropriate.
* Lead in creating and maintaining a climate in which individuals feel safety has high value and that they are clear about responsibilities, safety aims and objectives within Mind Retail.
* Develop and monitor the division’s compliance with the Health and Safety, formulate and review Policy and procedures and formally advise managers on areas of non-compliance. Provide training as appropriate. Implementing overarching arrangements with contractors and shop visitors.
* Provide advice to Head of Property and management in general on Health and Safety activities and contribute to planning and decision making. Prepare, distribute, maintain and report upon all risk assessments, monthly checks and provide training when required.
* Co-ordinate accident and incident reporting and manage our accident and incident online reporting system and assist internal investigations and resolution of issues in an ordered and well communicated process.
* RIDDOR reporting and accident investigations. Liaise with internal and external stakeholders.
* Provide accurate information and reports to the H & S committee and attend/ contribute to H & S committee meetings.
* Identify, specify and tender for repairs for which Mind Retail are responsible for and develop a PPM programme and asset register, ensuring all interested parties are kept abreast of the process, developments and responsibilities. Maintain records.
* Manage providers/ contractors ensuring compliance, monitor performance, provide assistance with budgeting and retender providers as necessary.
* Manage the statutory testing regimes necessary in shops and management of contractors. This is mainly, but not limited to electrics, gas, asbestos, legionella, emergency lighting, fire alarms typical to retail and warehouse premises. To includes tendering and arranging and recording remedial work.
* Oversee Mind Retail Asbestos Management. Completion of Annual Asbestos re-inspection surveys and follow up any remedial work.
* To write reports, newsletters, updates and other material as required.
* To assist the Head of Property in the implementation, management and organization of any Capital Works.
* Identify opportunities for continuous safety improvement within the division and assist the Director and Senior Management Team in their implementation.
* Ensure procedures are in place associated with all legal and other obligations including fire safety, building structures, building accessibility, mechanical and electrical building and engineering services.
* This job description is neither exhaustive nor exclusive and may be reviewed in the future depending upon operational requirements.
* To assist the Head of Property as required.
* To keep abreast of new and changing Health and Safety legislation.
* Keep abreast of internal and external developments and respond accordingly
* To attend and contribute to supervision and appraisal process, meetings, training, and other events as required.
* To adhere to relevant legal and statutory requirements including the Coronavirus Act 2020 and recommendations, Data Protection Act (ensuring an appropriate level of confidentiality at all times), Health and Safety at Work Act (ensuring H&S of own and others at all times) and any other relevant/charity law.
* To work remotely and travel to sites and meetings in England and Wales, which may require the need to work unsociable hours e.g. attending evening or weekend meetings or for overnight stay. We are also keen to engage in technology and increased use of online and remote resources.
* To ensure that all responsibilities and activities within this post are in accordance with the terms and spirit of Mind’s mission, vision, values, objectives, policies, procedures and practices
* To undertake other duties that may be necessary in compatible with the nature of this post and this will flexibility in undertaking the role
Hold the NEBOSH General Certificate in Occupational Health and Safety and at least 3 years’ experience in a similar role preferably within the Retail sector
Experience of undertaking various risk assessments and writing inspection reports
Understanding of statutory compliance with retail premises and experience managing providers/ contractors
Experience of communicating complex technical information to non-technical audiences in writing and verbal communications
Past experience of working unsupervised and on own initiative and in remote environments
Proven record of managing multiple competing priorities and meeting tight deadlines
Experience of working with people at all levels
A good working knowledge of lease covenants
Proficient in the use of Microsoft Office and databases
Ability and willingness to travel frequently
Full driving license
Direct or indirect experience of mental health problems
Knowledge of the Charity Sector
Hold the NEBOSH National Certificate in Fire Safety and Risk Management
Experience of delivering training
Membership of IOSH