Chair of the Board
|Job Title:||Chair of the Board|
|Contact Name:||Jan Hughes|
|Job Published:||January 09, 2019 12:23|
Do you have an interest in sport, strategic planning and management skills, and the desire to put these to good use by volunteering to help lead the national governing body for paddlesport in Wales?
Canoe Wales is currently inviting applications for an independent Chair of the Board for our volunteer Board of Directors to help us deliver our vision for paddlesport in Wales.
VACANCY: CHAIR OF THE BOARD
All members of the Canoe Wales Board are required to:
* Ensure Canoe Wales' vision, values and standards and its obligations to the whole membership, staff and other parties are fully understood and met;
* Ensure Canoe Wales' strategic aims and necessary resources (financial and others) are in place in order for the organisation to meet its objectives and review management performance;
* Provide leadership of the organisation within a framework of prudent and effective controls which allow risk to be assessed and managed to ensure compliance with company and other statutory laws that apply;
* Ensure that the company's obligations to outside stakeholders are understood and met.
Purpose of Chairperson:
* To be a Director of Canoe Wales.
* To provide strong and effective leadership to the Board and Canoe Wales.
* To ensure effective governance throughout the organisation.
Essential Skills and Experience:
* Excellent leadership and management skills, including the ability to effectively chair meetings and manage discussions to achieve a group decision
* Excellent communication skills, with a talent for writing clearly and the confidence to speak in front of groups of all sizes
* Ability to quickly familiarise yourself with the key issues facing Canoe Wales and the sporting landscape in which it operates
* Some knowledge of the statutory requirements for limited companies
* Experience handling sensitive and confidential issues
* Ability to attend Canoe Wales events, functions, meetings etc. as appropriate
* 3 to 5 years of experience working at senior management/leadership level
The board particularly welcomes applications from candidates from underrepresented groups including women, disabled people and people from BME communities - it is our ambition that our board reflects and represents the whole Welsh community.
About Canoe Wales
Canoe Wales is the national governing body for paddlesport in Wales. We're here to support our members, advocate for canoeing and kayaking in Wales and help paddlers at every step of their paddlesport career - whether they're recreational paddlers just looking to enjoy our gorgeous lakes, rivers and coastline, or competitive paddlers on their way to an Olympic or Paralympic podium. We currently employ eleven staff based across Wales, with our main office located at the National White Water Centre on the River Tryweryn in Bala. We support 2,500 members and 56 paddlesport clubs which provide opportunities to paddle in a wide range of disciplines, including the Olympic disciplines of slalom and sprint.
We are currently in the process of finalising a new four-year strategic plan which will set out our vision for how to support new paddlers, grow the sport at all levels in Wales, and improve the services we provide to our members.
For more information and how to apply
The closing date for applications is 1 Feb 2019. As part of the recruitment pack you can find a role description for Directors and a more detailed role description for Independent Chair.
Candidates should be able to demonstrate relevant professional or Board experience, ideally with an understanding of governance issues and commercial or non-profit experience or specific experience in the specialist areas listed above. Successful candidates do not need to have experience within the sport sector and applicants from other sectors who can bring in fresh ideas are welcome.
Whilst no remuneration is available for this role, all reasonable expenses incurred will be reimbursed in accordance with the Canoe Wales expenses policyAcorn Executive Search works in strategic partnership with the Welsh Sports Association in recruiting non-executive directors for the Boards of its Governing Bodies.
Acorn Recruitment Ltd is acting as an Employment Business in relation to this vacancy.
Get similar jobs like these by email
By submitting your details you agree to our T&C's