- Job Reference: 00033226-1
- Date Posted: 29 December 2020
- Recruiter: CV-Library
- Location: Gateshead, Tyne And Wear
- Salary: £11.20 to £12.35 Per Hour
- Sector: Healthcare & Medical, Science & Technology, Covid-19
- Job Type: Temporary
Fixed Term Contract
We're currently seeking Associate Practitioners based in and around Gateshead to help support the COVID-19 recovery scheme, working within a high output diagnostics laboratory environment, as part of the UK's NHS Test and Trace programme.
As well as playing a vital role in supporting society's return to a more normal way of life by helping to break the chains of COVID-19 transmission, you will also gain invaluable experience and exposure to some of the country's most highly skilled individuals in the scientific community.
This represents a once in a lifetime opportunity to go above and beyond to support public health, while also developing first-rate technical skills and setting your Scientific career up for future success.
You will be joining a supportive environment and will be provided with training and accreditation for the role and processes you are required to undertake.
As an Associate Practitioner, you will contribute to the provision of the clinical laboratory service, as part of a team of Biomedical Scientists and support workers performing work activities in accordance with Standard Operating Procedures. This is an opportunity to take on operational and/or administrative responsibility for a specific area within a laboratory area. Advanced training will be given to allow work without direct supervision, referring to the line manager of the section when required.
As part of this role, you will also undergo an in-service certificated competency training programme. Under the guidance of qualified staff, you will be responsible for performing a range of scientific procedures on biological samples that contribute to the diagnosis, treatment and monitoring of diseases and the investigation of other pathological processes. As part of that, you will make decisions that have an impact on the end result in order to facilitate the provision of accurate and timely reports within available resources.
Within the role of an Associate Practitioner, you will use practical skills to perform tasks associated with the pre-analytical preparation of specimens and analysis preparing using a range of processes and highly complex laboratory equipment to conduct routine departmental procedures/tests. These tasks are of a more advanced nature than those of a Biomedical Support Worker.
In order to be successful, you'll need the following education, experience and skills:
· Previous experience in Department. Supervisory training course attended/qualification gained
· Working towards a level 4 science qualification (BSc, HND, Foundation degree) or Considerable laboratory experience plus a recognized qualification acceptable for University entrance for a degree
· Considerable laboratory experience plus a minimum of NVQ4 in Clinical Laboratory Support (or equivalent) or Considerable laboratory experience plus the IBMS Support Staff Certificate of Achievement Part II (to be submitted prior to job interview)
· Good attention to detail.
· Good manual dexterity.
· Good communication skills - written and oral.
· Proven organisational skills, ability to prioritise work
· Ability to work with IT systems and software, particularly data management of audit/reports
· Able to read and follow written protocols and scientific methods.
The following experience, education and skills are desirable but not mandatory:
· Previous Biomedical laboratory/NHS experience or equivalent
· GCSE/O levels in Maths, English Language, Biology and Chemistry
· A level in science subject / HEFC science level 3 or above, BTEC national diploma / ANVC in Science. BSc, HNC, Foundation Degree.
· Computer keyboard skills
· Prepare samples for further extended testing
· Report preliminary result on limited test procedures
· Process a range of biological, serological and molecular samples
· Monitor and re-order reagents and consumables
As well as a competitive rate of pay (with a 20% uplift applied for night working and end of contract bonus), you'll receive comprehensive training on relevant lab procedures and equipment.
This role will work on a shift pattern and will include day, evening and weekend shifts. Please speak to our team to learn more.
You will also be joining a diverse and hugely welcoming team. Diversity is about reflecting the communities we serve, holding the principles of equality and inclusion at the heart of everything we do and all that we stand for, embracing differences, creating possibilities, and growing together. We aim to foster a culture where individuals of all backgrounds feel confident in bringing their whole selves to work, feel included and their talents are nurtured, empowering them to contribute fully to our purpose.
This is literally a once in a lifetime opportunity to join a team of highly skilled individuals, all focused on delivering the best possible outcome