|Salary||£26963 - £35479 per annum||Sector||Miscellaneous|
This role is to provide invaluable analytical support to the wider Commercial team, often supporting more than one project at once. The successful candidate will be heavily involved in the assessment of opportunities with stakeholders and closely involved in the day-to-day delivery of sourcing projects ensuring that recommendations reflect the best possible value and are in line with business objectives.
You will be joining at a time when the entire Water industry is transforming towards a more competitive market - the biggest change since privatisation.
Commercial at Thames Water will be looking to deliver against strong savings targets across this and the next period, as well as delivering value over and above the pound sign. Working within a matrix environment, the successful candidate will gain great exposure to a huge range of projects, business stakeholders, suppliers and wider business streams. The Commercial team at Thames Water is currently responsible for £1.5billion worth of spend per year, with contract values ranging between circa £100,000 through to hundreds of million pounds.
To be successful you will have the following skills and experience:
This role is within the Insights and Strategy team in the Commercial function which is an excellent development opportunity and will suit candidates with some relevant commercial experience and a strong numerical background. Opportunity to move into the wider business at Thames Water is actively encouraged, and those joining analytical positions are seen as a great talent pool to other business streams.
As a Commercial Business Analyst, your time will predominantly be split between data analytics, supporting the Commercial team with market analysis, and stakeholder engagement. This will involve:
- Obtaining, cleansing and analysing large data files to provide insight on our historical spend as well as identifying opportunities in cost and operational efficiency. As part of this process, using the historical data, you may also be required to provide information on our future demand;
- Attending stakeholder (project) meetings and presenting your findings in front of stakeholder group, which may involve senior level commercial and operational managers;
- With support from the project team, developing appropriate commercial models and pricing templates/ bid sheets for each sourcing initiative either by using existing templates or creating new models;
- Supporting the development of sourcing recommendations, by providing commercial analysis of final costs versus budgets and baseline outlined in sourcing strategy, and evidencing what additional business value has been enabled;
- Regularly engaging with stakeholders to elicit information and define scope of analysis;
- Providing support to internal and external (supplier) meetings to explain data analysis as requested;
- Support the Analytics team to promote and embed our technology through championing our systems and running training sessions for the Commercial and wider business.
The procurement team work across 80+ projects from purchasing chemicals to reviewing plant equipment suppliers, their main objective is to review contracts and Programmes and try and save the business multiple millions in costs.
You will be able to demonstrate that your previous experience will be from a technical back ground within the utilities sector (Gas, electrical, water, energy) or management consultancy.
You will be known as self-starter with a proven strong analytical mind set and proven ability to work well under pressure who can hold strong communication/stakeholder engagement skills, and be able to prioritise/multitask to produce required deliverables efficiently.
- Degree in a numerical field such as Engineering, Accountancy, Mathematics or equivalent
- Advanced knowledge of Visual Basic to be able to create macros.
- Power BI knowledge
- PowerPoint and advanced Excel capabilities.
- Analytical tests,
- 1st interview,
- 2nd interview, you will be given task, to prepare a business case presentation and present back your findings and solutions
Our competitive salary package includes an excellent contributory pension, 24 days holiday per year increasing to 30 with length of service and a wider benefits scheme. This includes an annual pay review, season ticket loans, voucher scheme giving you money off in major retail outlets, loyalty awards for continuous service plus much more, including our refer-a-friend bonus, where you can receive up to £1,000 for helping someone get a permanent position within the company.
We’re also proud to be here for our local community, offering all of our teams two days paid volunteer leave a year, as well as proudly supporting a lot of local events and charities.
Thames Water is the UK’s largest water and wastewater company. We make a daily difference to millions of customers by supplying 2.7 billion litres of world-class water to around 10 million homes.
As our world changes, the need to take care of our most precious resource is greater than ever, both locally and globally. That’s why, at Thames Water, every one of our actions, big and small, matters every day. Water is essential to daily life, and that means our business is always open. We’re passionate about providing world-class tap water, now and for the future.
We’re also turning poo into power, self-generating 20% of the energy we use and, in turn, doing our bit for the planet. We’re reducing plastic waste by celebrating our tap water and rolling out an ambitious water fountain project. We’re using our voice to lobby for change and partnering with WaterAid to provide clean water to the world’s poorest communities.
Together, we’re building a better future for our customers, our region and our planet.
Thames Water is a unique, rewarding and diverse place to work. If you join our team, you’ll enjoy fast-tracked career opportunities, flexible working arrangements and unparalleled benefits. We’re also proud to be an equal opportunity employer, Stonewall Diversity Champion and Disability Confident Leader, welcoming individuals from all walks of life and leading the way with an award-winning mental health and wellbeing strategy.