06 Nov 17:00 by Alejandro Rodriguez Garcia


Any member of the military knows that resettlement into civilian life can be challenging. There are several different areas that must be addressed with resettlement, and several different resources as well.

Areas of Adaptation

The military is usually more than a way of life. It is life itself for many. The camaraderie of forces personnel is as ingrained as their own heartbeats, and to leave that atmosphere can be devastating for many.  Quite often, the personnel may experience a sense of loss similar to that of grief, as they are no longer part of something bigger and more powerful than themselves.

There is also the issue of control. Forces personnel are used to making decisions, and acting on them, or receiving orders, and acting on them. This doesn’t always translate well to civilian life and can often leave people struggling to reintegrate into society.

Dealing with lack of threat can also be a big adjustment for those leaving the forces. The constant readiness leaves its mark, making it harder to adjust to civilian life.

Your skills set may be something that also needs adjustment. While you may have developed specific skills for your military service, you’ll need training to adapt these skills to civilian service through one of our many training courses.

Eligibility For Resettlement

You are eligible for help with resettlement if you have been in the service for at least 4 years. If you have been in the service for 6 years, you can get full service.

In addition, those leaving the service with a minimum of 6 years and more can also get the Graduated Resettlement Time. This 4 week period is allotted to those who have between 6 to 15 years and increases to 7 weeks to those with 16 or more years. You can also get the Individual Resettlement Training Costs (IRTC) grant; this will help you meet the costs required during training for resettlement. You’ll also benefit from funding for travel and meals during your resettlement activities and receive briefs on housing opportunities.

Employment Support Program

The ESP or Employment Support Program, is designed to help all veterans with resettlement from six months before they leave the force to up to 2 years afterwards. You will receive a career consultant that will be acquainted with your particular case. This consultant will give you the full inventory of services available to you and in the region in which you choose to relocate.

Through your consultant with the ESP, you’ll also receive information on available jobs, some of which are specifically reserved for those leaving the service. Your consultant will help you contact any of the employers with whom you would like to speak. They will also give you information on furthering your education, finding proper education for your dependents, and in finding suitable housing. In addition not only do you receive these full services for 2 years after your discharge, you can avail yourself of their databases for jobs, education, and housing for the rest of your life.

Full Service

Those who have completed a 6-year service record will have the benefit of full resettlement services. This means you will have unlimited contact with your career consultant, and be able to attend different workshops intended to help you prepare for civilian jobs. You’ll have help building a resume, searching the job market, practicing for an interview, and help making the initial calls to prospective employers.

If you are retiring, you can get specific help from your consultant for those purposes. If you are going to continue working you can get training to transfer your military skills to civil markets.

Resettlement Training

Your resettlement training will be in one of 3 areas: management, engineering, and building trades. If you pursue management training, you’ll be with others who want to enter the field of sales, police work, project and facilities managers, etc.  The engineering courses offer training on electrical, IT, and other engineering fields, including safety and security.  The building trades include plumbing, painting, decorating, dry lining, plastering etc. Your IRTC grant will pay for most of these courses getting you into a position to become qualified to do civil work.

If you elect to go to a training facility outside of the system the RTC Aldershot will audit the supplier to make sure they are training you properly.

Medical Discharge

If you are leaving the service because of medical conditions, you can get a deferment of your resettlement for as much as 2 years post-discharge. Your resettlement funds and training can also be transferred to your spouse, if you are medically unable to manage.

Early Discharge

If you are being forced out of service, you can still get reduced resettlement services. You will be connected with the Department of Work and Pensions, and given help finding a job.